Author Topic: How do you deal with teething night wakings? ( lots of ?s)  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
How do you deal with teething night wakings? ( lots of ?s)
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:25 am »
Ever since ds had a cold 10 days ago he has been waking each night for up to 2 hours. Some of it may be overtiredness now, but some of it is possibly due to teething. All 4 canines are just under the surface, and he keeps jamming his fingers into his mouth - so I think this may be the issue.

I give him pain meds before bed, but these seem to wear off by about 3am. Once he is awake, it is a battle now to get him to go back down, he stands at the end of the cot if I leave the room and cries, and when I am in the room he jumps up and down for up to an hour before he exhausts himself then takes up to a further hour to resettle - then he will be up for the day just after 6am!

I don't take him out of his cot, and I don't leave him to cry. Once I am in the room he doesn't really cry much just jumps up.

How does anyone else deal with this, do you just stay until they re-settle? Or leave the room periodically?

He does settle to sleep at bedtime ok (we have the occasional blip) and generally sleeps through the night - but this has been going on now for a week and all cold symptoms have disappeared. How long do night wakings seem to go on with teeth?

Anyone else's experiences would be reassuring........

Justine

Offline Carys' mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: How do you deal with teething night wakings? ( lots of ?s)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 13:47:16 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I can't be of much help - we're having similar problems right now. Our 12 mo dd is having her molars come in, and we had a terrible night last night. She woke repeatedly crying and screaming. My dh and I took turns going in, and she would only stop crying if I picked her up. Once I put her back down, she would start screaming/crying hysterically and even louder if I left the room. We had given her a dose of pain meds (Motrin) before going down for bed, and gave her another dose at one of her wakings. It didn't seem to help. We've never done this before, but I resorted to bringing her to bed with us. I definitely don't want to start that habit.

Somebody please help  :'( ... we all need sleep!

Thanks...
Melanie
Mom to Carys Elizabeth (2/15/05) and Joshua August (8/16/07)

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: How do you deal with teething night wakings? ( lots of ?s)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 12:27:07 pm »
Can someone who has passed the points of canines (hah) reassure me that their lo's go back to sleeping again? Will this phase pass or do I need to intervene?

justine