Author Topic: Being realisitic: When will my baby sleep 10 hours straight  (Read 1138 times)

Offline mpetty2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Being realisitic: When will my baby sleep 10 hours straight
« on: March 01, 2006, 13:24:34 pm »
I am a mother of 9 week old twins (boy/girl) and I have several issues/questions of course:

#1.  When realisitically will they (or can they)sleep 10 hrs straight? Right now they sleep in the room with us together in the crib.  They eat every 4 hours (boy around 5-6 oz and girl who is smaller around 4-5 ounces.)  During the night we feed them together even if one is asleep.  SHould we do this or feed separately???  My girl almost ALWAYS poops in teh middle of the night and this wakes her up....how do I get this to stop or can I?? My husband refuses to let them cry hardly at all!!

What strategies can I use to get them to stretch out thier night.  My goal is for them to sleep 8pm until 5am......is this unrealistic for 9 week old twins??

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Being realisitic: When will my baby sleep 10 hours straight
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 14:57:11 pm »
i have no experience with twins and wether to feed together if one is asleep , but Ryan slept from 10pm till 6am at 8wks old. we upped the oz of feed during the day to keep him going throught the night. then he would go 12pm till 8am. we never managed 10 hrs at a young age .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 23:02:39 pm »
Not to scare you, but Ethan didn't sleep for that long until he was about 5 1/2 months old. But a large part of the problem was his addiction to his pacifier, which meant that whenever it fell out in the middle of the night he woke up and I had to plug it back in before he went back to sleep. He finally slept through the night after we got rid of his pacifiers.

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 00:22:26 am »
I know that some babies do sleep that length of time at that age, but they are more the exception than the rule.  Both my dd's did long sleeps for a short while around that age, but it didn't last.  Then started properly sleeping through around 4m (7pm-7am with a 10pm dream feed).

Strategies to help them go longer at night - do cluster feeds in the evenings (to 'tank them up'!), and a dream feed before you go to bed (don't actually wake them for this).  In my experience the more well rested the baby is, the better they sleep at night.  So when the day sleeping started going well, that's when the night sleeping got better.  We used a pacifier with dd2, and night sleep got much better once we weaned her off it at 4m.

I don't have any experience with twins, but there is a board for multiples - maybe someone there can help you with that part of your question.