Author Topic: no props but how do you teach them to sleep?  (Read 985 times)

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
no props but how do you teach them to sleep?
« on: March 02, 2006, 16:30:31 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem...

Your lo has had some dependency issues for sleep, whether it's bf, bottle, rocking, you being in the room etc  and you finally get to the point where you are no longer doing that accidental parenting.. but your lo still doesn't sleep!!  My 19 mo old lo is now only sleeping 9 1/2 hours at night and 1 1/2 during the day and it can take hours of chatting and tossing and turning  to fall asleep especially at bedtime and if she wakes in the night.  (no not me, her :P)

It seems like during toddlerhood you can no longer rely on their need to sleep to just send them off...they need to be able to soothe themselves and unwind, how do you help them with that?  You've taken away their prop and it has been replaced with...nothing.  And they have so much going on. How do you teach a toddler how to sleep?   We've got the blackout curtains, the white noise, the lovey, a winddown routine,  consistent bedtime, naptime, mealtimes...but the only thing that seems to finally send her off is exhaustion.  So you have an independent sleeping exhausted toddler.

I don't mean for this to turn into a rant but I am frustrated and quite frankly feeling guilty.  It feels like I've exchanged my need to get a good night's sleep for my lo's ability to get one. Is there some point that "sleep training"  just isn't possible? ie if you don't get them sleeping independently by 12 months you should just forget it until they're like 3 when you can start trying to teach them relaxation techniques or something?         

Offline NicoleW

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: no props but how do you teach them to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 16:06:12 pm »
I don't think so. i think you can still help them. was it you that suggested teh walk in/walk out for me?
well, it has worked wonders.I also took megs soother away a week and ahalf  ago. her only prop really....and she started jsut talking an talking  and talking at bed time. so even though she wasn't crying i kept going in  and laying her down. at first it made her cry but she learned she needed to be laying down and relaxing in order to fall asleep. its a good start. you wouldn't fall asleep if you were standing up or sitting up would you?  I would just keep laying her down. you are teaching her HOW to sleep that way. or atleast teh beginnings. if you want to pm me, or email me at nasherman@hotmail.com. i'd love to help you out some more.

Nicole