Author Topic: Am I doing the right thing for 8 mo. old night wakings?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline twoblacklabs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Am I doing the right thing for 8 mo. old night wakings?
« on: March 03, 2006, 15:09:40 pm »
Jack just turned 8 months and has been sleeping through the night (7:30 to 6:30/7) since 4.5 months old.  Lately he's going through LOTS of changes with his mobility and also getting teeth.  He isn't crawling yet, but does lots of hands and knees/rocking and scooting and sitting and rolling... everything except crawling. 

Over the last week or so, he's been waking at night.  SCREAMING.  Sometimes I go in and he's twisted in his crib, so I just fix him and leave.  Other times it appears he's fine, so I just reassure him with a pat and some quiet words and he goes back to sleep.  I try not to pick him up, although sometimes I do if the patting/whispering doesn't calm him.

It is almost like he's having a bad dream, or possibly in pain from teething.  He has tears running down his face and everything.  The other night this happened 4 times, but the next day he had two new teeth that had popped through on the top.

So my question is, it is okay to go to him, right?  I have never done CIO, and never had to thanks to Tracy, but now I can't tell if maybe I'm being manipulated a little bit, and he's crying to see me come running.  I don't stay longer than a minute, and I leave once he's calmed down.  Sometimes he starts up again when I leave but calms and is back to sleep within less than a minute.

I know the issue the other night was teeth.  And the last two nights he's slept through without a peep.  Could he be having nightmares?  Am I doing the right thing by going in to calm him/straighten him out or should I leave him alone?

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Am I doing the right thing for 8 mo. old night wakings?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 17:48:29 pm »
Sounds like your doing exactly what you need to. Good work :)
Congrates on the new teeth for your LO, I'd say keep it up. He'll probably go back to sleeping through on his own when he's ready.
Kimberly

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 00:26:51 am »
Sounds like you are doign everything "right", teething, developmental & separation anxiety are big issues at this age & they do often have unsettled sleep (us poor mothers get it too)

but now I can't tell if maybe I'm being manipulated a little bit, and he's crying to see me come running.  I don't stay longer than a minute, and I leave once he's calmed down.  Sometimes he starts up again when I leave but calms and is back to sleep within less than a minute.

At this age they DON'T have the ability to manipulate (ie say if I cry Mummy will come, so I will cry) they cry because they want re-assurance, in the last few months your ds has realised he is a separate person from you, but he also needs to be reassured that you will come when he needs you... like an adult, when you are upset, or tired or bothered by something, you seek out something to help you, be it a hug from your dh, some chocolate, a shopping trip etc... for your ds the thing he knows that comforts him is his Mother, so that is what he wants & sometimes like with say chocolate  ;), one piece doesn't always cut it, so he needs you to go back a bit longer. HTH you to understand that he is doing it out of a genuine baby need, not through a reason to manipulate

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline twoblacklabs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 15:28:03 pm »
My gut was telling me he wasn't manipulating me - and it felt right going to him.  Now I know it was the teeth, etc, because he had another good night last night.

Can SA effect naps?  He's never been a great napper - he's always done just fine with a few short naps a day - but the last couple of days his naps have been REALLY short.  Like 15 - 20 minutes.  YUCK.  This morning we put him down at 9:30 (his usual naptime) and he slept maybe 20 minutes.  He is still in there, and it's now 10:30.  I just feel like he's not really ready to get up.  He still hasn't fallen back asleep, though.  I've been in twice to turn pat a little bit when the fussing/talking turned to crying, but now I'm thinking I should probably just get him up.

He is doing so much now physically with all the attempts at mobility, I feel like that's messing him up in the daytime, too.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 17:46:00 pm »
while longer naps should be encouraged, not all LO's need long naps. Even if he doesn't sleep, but just has quiet time on his own thats still restfull for him, I'd suggest you attempt pat/shush ot PU/PD if he fusses but for the time being if he's calm and quiet leave him be, he's doing a lot as you said and that probably whats effecting his sleep.
Now he's only 8 months I believe you said. But I have to wonder if he's ready for 1 nap. I know its early but what do you think would happen if you put him down later and tried to combine his naps so he has one? like say after his second meal, maybe try keeping him up in the morning, and try putting him down 12-12:30 and see if he can maybe extend that into a 2 hour nap and then if he needs it maybe a 45 min catnap in the late afternoon?
what do you think of trying that?
if he ends up super cranky then I do appologize.. I'd feel horrible, but maybe thats what he needs.
Just a thought
Kimberly

Offline twoblacklabs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 20:02:12 pm »
That probably wouldn't be a bad idea.  He did the same thing today - a 15 minute nap at 9:30 and then he slept for close to an hour at around 10:30.  He was up from 11:30 to 2, and then he went down for another nap - this one only 20 minutes!

I don't know what happened.  Its the strangest thing.  I don't know how he could possibly need less sleep now that he's more active.  He wakes up in a good mood and stays that way.  He sleeps a solid 11+ hours at night.  I might visit the nap board and see what advice I can get there.  Maybe he is ready for just one good nap a day.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 20:06:00 pm »
sounds like he's having more fun learning new things then sleeping. Our LO did the same thing.
Kimberly