Author Topic: Good sleeper gone bad!!!  (Read 2268 times)

Offline olleezmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Good sleeper gone bad!!!
« on: March 06, 2006, 14:57:22 pm »
Help!  My 7.5 month old DS has become a not so good sleeper!  He has slep 11 straight hors since he was 4 months old, but for the past 3 weeks has been "suffering" several night wakings!  It started as early wakings around 5-6 am...now has meoved to all hours of the night wakings!  It is very difficult to get him back to sleep as well.  I try not to pick him up, but just put my hand on his chest and talk...it takes at keast 25 minutes...and he usually doesn't stay asleep past 6:30 any way...( he always slept until 7!)
Will this pass?  I thought that now he is move active and mobile he would be more tired and sleep LONGER not less! Any suggestions or thoughts???

Offline Minxsmum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 15:57:01 pm »
This probably won't help, except to know that there are others like you out there, but you could be me, except that my little one is now 9 months and I only got round to looking at this site today after 3 months of interrupted sleep.  So well done you!  And I'll be looking at your replies eagerly!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Good sleeper gone bad!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 06:02:14 am »
could you possible post your lo's schedule for us to take a look at? is he still taking his catnap? how many hrs a day is he napping now? as they get more active and mobile they have more to think about and do and it can cause sleep disturbances sometimes, but so can too much sleep.  his schedule may need to be tweaked a little - post it and i will let u know what i can think of.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline olleezmom

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 13:00:18 pm »
Thank you for you offer of help.  Although waking time varies, I do my best to stick to this schedule..
7:00     BF
8:30     cereal & fruit
9:30     nap (1-1.5 hours)
11:15     BF
12:30     cereal & veg
2:00     nap (usually 45 minutes-1.25 hours)
4:00     BF
5:30     veg/meat & fruit
7:00     BF
bath, books and in bed by 7:45/8:00
I spend most of his awake time playing with him on his mat, or outside for a walk or at the park now that the weather is nice.  He also plays by himself at his activity gym or rolling around on the floor- not actually crawling yet!
He was up at 5:30 today, but played in crib until 6 before he started really crying!!

Offline teezee

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 16:02:49 pm »
i know my lo (at around 7 months) started with strange early morning/night wakings where she just wanted to play and be awake (with company of course)... :-\  i think it was partly developmental...and partly her routine needed tweaking.  your routine does look pretty good, but maybe u want to try feeding him after the bath instead of before so u have a little bit more time spacing the feedings apart?!  i know with my lo getting too much day sleep (more than 2 and a half hrs) will cause all kinds of night wakings for us.  could be to that his morning nap is a little too long at an hour and a half - i usually aim closer to 1 hr for the am nap and a longer afternoon nap - works best with us.  the morning nap is supposed to be looked at as an extension of nighttime sleep, if it is too long will disrupt sleep for that night. what do u do when he wakes in his crib early?  have u tried letting him fuss a bit longer on his own (of course until crying becomes escalated..) and seeing if he can put himself to sleep?  it also looks like the time between the last nap may be alittle long - does he seem tired sooner? it looks like he wakes around 3pm - lasting til 8 is a long time before bed - have u tried an earlier bedtime?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline olleezmom

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:13:26 am »
I have actually thought about many of your suggestions.  My concerns are:  if I do the bath first, then BF..he will fall asleep while BF..and I don't want to get in that habit.  Second...if I do an earlier bedtime, when do I do the last BF?  The nap part was interesting.  So should I wake him after an hour from the morning nap?  Should I go back to a cat nap around 5?  Should I go back to doing a DF?  Confusion has set in!!!  My fear is that I will try these things and he will stop sleeping altogether...and he had me spoiled!
Thanks for all your advice!  I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Offline teezee

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 03:44:00 am »
ok well - i wouldn't necessarily go into the room and actually wake him - i usually close her door when she is sleeping and to get her to wake i open it and make a little noise busying myself near her room - this usually works  ;)

bathing first to hold off the bf - i used to have this problem and solved it by after bfing when she was asleep i would sit her up to burp her, if that wasn't enough to wake her, i would talk to her and walk around with her for a few minutes and then go in her room and do the whole bedtime routine.  it has been months since i have had this problem though - i guess she kinda grew out of it...

sometimes, if dd needs to go to sleep earlier b/c of a bad napping day or something i will feed her right before i put her down - if it's only three hrs then so be it!  it has never affected her sleeping or eating through the night (i thought it would too.)

i wouldn't go back to doing a df if u already stopped and he doesn't need it, and i also wouldn't suggest a catnap - unless he hasn't slept well that day (ie less than an hour and a half)..and even then i might opt for an earlier bedtime myself.

another thought about the night wakings - it doesn't sound like it but is your lo too stimulated before bedtime?  i find that after her bath (which she gets very excited for every time!) when i bf it calms her down quite a bit and then she is ready to sleep.  just another thought to put out there for you.

i definately wouldn't do EVERYTHING at once - start slowly - what do u think would work for your lo best...try it for a few days, or a week and see how it works.  if it improves sleep, try the next best thing...it if makes things worse than drop it and try something else - it is all trial and error...sometimes i would try something and then stop as it made things worse, tried something else which made things better (but not great) and then try the first technique again and it solved it...good luck - keep me posted on how things are progressing and if u have anymore questions!

Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline olleezmom

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 14:57:44 pm »
ok...so last night, just due to the fact that we were out and about...I tried the bath first, then books, then BF...he slep until 6:45 and played until 7!!!   Horray!  I don't know if it was a coincidence or due to irratic napping yesterday, but I guess we'll go from there!
Thanks for your advice !  I will continiue to tweek the schedue!
Dawn

Offline teezee

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 15:13:12 pm »
congrats - just remember what works one night may not necessarily work the next - don't get discouraged though!!...and just keep moving forward!!! ;D ;D
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005