Author Topic: trying to increase calorie intake during day to stop night wakings, help!  (Read 950 times)

Offline cidercat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son is 7.5 months old and weighs about 19-20 lb.  He is still waking up usually once a night, always at different times (between 1 and 5 am).  I have him on a 4 hr EASY:

7 wake/nurse
8:30 solids
9 nap (45 mins-2 hrs)
11 nurse
12:30 solids
1 nap (1.5-2 hrs)
3 nurse
4ish nap (45 min)
5:30 solids
7 nurse, bath, nurse, bed by 7:30

He doesn't always fully empty the breast at the 11 nursing, but other than that every time I put him to the breast he empties it (including in the middle of the night, and at that time I'm usually very engorged).  Lately I've been trying to give him both breasts at each nursing, trying to increase supply and to get him to nurse as much as possible (supply has never been a problem for me).  He eats a lot of solids, usually between 4-8 oz at each meal. 

I'm fairly certain he's waking up at night because he's hungry, but I just don't know how to get more calories in him during the day, short of nursing him more frequently (which I was doing up until a few weeks ago, but with nursing on demand he usually woke up twice a night instead of only once). 

We've never done dream feeds, he doesn't take a bottle (and I try to go to bed shortly after he goes to sleep anyway).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

--amy

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
i would also think that a cluster feed for a few days may be helpful to get the intake higher before nighttime but i don't know if i would do it longterm as u may be giving yourself more problems in the long run ie snacking.  if your lo is waking at night for a full feed he is hungry.  how long has he been waking for this feeding??  u could try a df but this late in the game (many ppl cut it out at this point) may give u even more night wakings...df and cluster feeding are usually meant for small babies although it can work for some this late in the game.  my lo used to wake once to twice a night for a feeding and i too had no idea how to break this cycle as she was taking full feedings.  her day feedings slowly got to be less and less and it was a big mess.  i read a post about slowly cutting down down the amount of time u bf for the night feeds and it helped tremendously as dd doesn't wake at all anymore!  i know it feels like a long journey but u will get there in time - the key is persistance and knowledge!!  here is the link about night weaning - good luck and let me know if u need anything!

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=46907.0
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005