Author Topic: Napping better but now waking frequently at night  (Read 1383 times)

Offline BRMsMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • The classic touchy baby...but toooo cute for words
Napping better but now waking frequently at night
« on: March 07, 2006, 17:35:17 pm »
Can anyone help??

My DS was a good night sleeper (particularly for being four months old)...last week I started the "wake-to-sleep" to extend daytime naps (as I cannot do the PU/PD due to herniated discs in my back). Also, last week, Ben got his 4 month immunizations, and slept really well the night of the shots (which I expected). BUT...now he is waking at 1, 3 and 5 during the night. At first I thought it was hunger (or a groth spurt) so I fed him. But he still woke up at 3 & 5 a.m. Last night, I went in gave him his soother, re-swaddled him and he would go to sleep, but wake again. I cannot leave him for too long at night (even though he is not crying) as it is cold at night (living in Canada...winters are cold...therefore he needs the covers)

We have develpoed a very nice bed time routine, which we have stuck to for the past two months, he does not go to bed too late (approx 7-715) and can settle himself to sleep. Ben is now napping better throughout the day, but it seems that I have messed up his nightitme sleeps.

I am presently trying to space his feeds from 3 hours to four hours. Could this have something to do with it? I really feel like we have taken a huge leap BACKWARDS and it feel more like when he was a newborn.

CAN ANYONE HELP???  ???

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Napping better but now waking frequently at night
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 18:32:25 pm »
i too live in canada and we solve the problem with either turning up the heat (not so comfortable for us) or dressing dd in layers or a warmer pj. i think that u going in is maybe causing some of the night wakings.

i also think that a 4 hr routine is definately a good idea.  he will take more during feedings and learn to sustain his belly longer.

you mention that he is napping better now, does that coincide with him having night wakings?  could you please post your schedule - he may be getting too much daytime sleep now...what does he do at night when he wakes? how do u respond??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline BRMsMom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 19:15:53 pm »
Thanks for your relpy...here is is schedule as it looks today. Since we are in transition to a 4 hour eating schedule it will probably change again, but here it goes... (this is what is is today)

7 am : wake up and eat

730: activity

845: sleep

1030: eat

1100: activity

1215: sleep

1330: wake and eat, activity

1445: sleep

1630: wake

1645: eat

1815: bath time

1900: eat

1930: sleep

I do not do a dream feed, I never have. and without the dream feed, Ben was going from 7pm to 6 am. I was cluster feeding at 3pm, 5pm, and 7pm but now with the bigger feeds he does not want the middle feed. Also, the last feed Ben takes about 6.5 oz and all of his other feedds are 6 oz. So he is getting about 30 oz in a 24 hour period, so I knwo htat he is getting enough food.

The wakings at night did coincide with the better napping. And at first I was letting him sleep longer than 2 hours, but that changede after 2 days. The wakings have now been going on about 1 week. I am hoping that the change to 4 hours btwn feeds will help the situation. As for the nights, I dress him warm (ie heavy under shirt and sleeper) and he is swaddled then has more blankets on top. Winters are tough.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 19:58:57 pm »
i definately think at 4 months 4 hr easy would help.  it does look like he could have his A time stretched out a bit (15 min at a time or so over a few days until u find a happy medium).  with longer between feedings he will naturally be hungrier and take more, even though he seems to be doing well now with amounts of milk.  i still do think that maybe you could be causing some of the wakings by going in and accidently waking him when reswaddling etc.  have u heard of the aussie swaddle??  it can be kind of tricky to get the hang of but my lo stayed swaddled throughout the night and didn't mind it at all compared to a regular swaddle. 

so are u still feeding him when he wakes at night?? are you maybe going in too soon?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline BRMsMom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 20:01:36 pm »
I have not heard of the aussie swaadle...how does one do that. I think that if he stayed swaddled, he would probably sleep through the night. He is just getting to strong for the swaadle I am doing. But he does like to have his arms tucked in.

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 20:13:11 pm »
i understand your dilemma totally!! here is the link for the aussie swaddle.  good luck with it!

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=1439.0
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline BRMsMom

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 20:35:58 pm »
Thanks I will try it...but it will porbably be modified as he hates to have his legs swaddled....I will keep you posted. I am looking forward to more sleep

Cheers

Offline teezee

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 20:55:31 pm »
{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}} it will get better - just be consistant!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005