Author Topic: Is resettling really going to teach him to sleep?  (Read 981 times)

Offline joben

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is resettling really going to teach him to sleep?
« on: March 07, 2006, 22:37:13 pm »
Hi,
My bub is 15 weeks old, FBF every 3-4 hrs during the day.  He is a bit of a catnapper during the day but we work at resettling him as much as we can to extend the naps.  He goes down at night around 7/7:30pm and wakes for a feed around 12-1am.  We have tried to dream feed but this makes his night wakings even more.  Then, he will wake around 3 or 4am and sometimes 5:30am before getting up for the day between 6 and 7am for his morning feed.  When he wakes at the early morning times ie: 3, 4 and/or 5:30am we generally just resettle him by rolling him onto his side so he can find his fingers again, little pat and tell him to go back to sleep.  This generally works as he is not crying out due to hunger.  He is a big boy, gaining 500-700 grams per fortnight so one feed during the night is more than ample - probably could go without one!!  My concern is whether us resettling him, rolling him on his side etc will become a habit that he will wake and look for during the night and without it won't be able to get back to sleep.  Is this what will happen or will doing this teach him to go back to sleep?  We have been doing it for over a month now.  During the day I've left him to see if he can put himself back to sleep without being rolled onto his side and he has fussed/whinged for up to an hour - not crying though.  This suggests to me that he might be dependant on us to roll him.  What should we do????  For this very reason we weaned of his dummy at around 9 weeks as we were having to get up and replace it when he woke during the night.  Is this just another prop?????  Help!!!!!
Balun's Mum

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Is resettling really going to teach him to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 04:04:01 am »
i think at this point it is ok to do this...but if u are worried about becoming a prop you could try shh/pat technique.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005