Author Topic: mummy snooze!  (Read 1009 times)

Offline momofella-grace

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
mummy snooze!
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:30:08 am »
Hi, i am still having problems with hourly / 2 hourly wakenings. Ella goes back to sleep quickly but is waking at 10.30am/ 12.00/ 1.00/ 2.50/5.00am i she is on a 4 hour easy..we still have probs with naps and i end up doing pu/pd for most of the time, however at the 9.00am nap i have started taking her to bed with me and she sleeps for 2 hours. My question is could this account for night wakenings? any help appreciated.

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: mummy snooze!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:21:21 am »
Hi there

Firstly I am interested to know what you mean exactly by having problems with naps.

Ella is taking a 2 hour nap (albeit in bed with you but hey, you need your sleep too right  :))

What else is happening during the day nap wise?  What times and what duration are other naps?

Regarding the night wakings, I am interested to know how does Ella fall asleep at the beginning of the night?  Does she feed to sleep?  Does she use a paci?  Is she swaddled?  Have you tried pat/shh?  Does that work?

I will check back
Jo

Offline momofella-grace

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 08:29:58 am »
Hi Jo, the main problem with naps is waking after 30 mins unless she is in bed with me. I do feed her so she is sleepy at night but she is put in the cot half asleep, i have never used a paci but she is swaddled. shh/pat does work but i found it was taking a long time for her to get back to sleep. Ella has 3 naps one at 9.00am until 11am (if she is with me) she has another at 1.00pm for 30 mins (rest of the time is spent pu/pd) i then put her up for a snooze at 4.30pm for 30 mins. thanks for your help. Lisa

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 11:06:40 am »
Hi Lisa

OK - it's really common for babies you DD's age to have short naps like she is having.  The wonderful ladies on the naps board can give you suggestions about lengthening naps - although often it is developmental and she will outgrow short naps around the 6 month mark. 

Personally if I were having those difficult short naps but able to get a good decent nap out of my DC by having a lay down with them - I would do it.

I think your night wakings are probably more related to the fact that you are feeding down to drowsy before putting DD into her cot first thing at night time.  I think she is developing that association of feeding - if not to sleep then almost to sleep - and that is disturbing her when she goes through transitions in the night. 

I would suggest you try putting DD down a little less drowsy - and use pat/shh to help her fall asleep (yes, it does take a while - I think it generally takes around 20 mins for LO's to fall asleep).  You could try adding a book or a short cuddle with Dad after her feed, before she gets into bed. 

It won't fix problems overnight, these things do take time but they will get sorted out once your DD gets better at falling asleep completely independently.

Good luck
Jo

Offline momofella-grace

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 12:54:23 pm »
Thanks Jo, i will try things a little differentl tonight no feeding to sleep!