Author Topic: Laxative Foods  (Read 52405 times)

Offline angelina and andrew's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • my two cuties.
Re: Laxative Foods
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2006, 06:51:28 am »
i give her water, do tummy massage and the bicyle legs every day. she was put on gaviscon infant sachets and it must be that coz nothing else has changed. they have become non existent!! she pushed for 2 days and about a nail size poo came out-i took her off the gaviscon yest afternoon and by 3this morn shes poo'd. i think ill need to go back to the docs bout this one but any other advice would be grateful. xx

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2006, 14:27:07 pm »
Any small thing can affect their digestive system, my LO gets constipated from follow on milk and hungrier baby milk!  I s'pose if Dr cant give you anyting different you just have to weigh up what best for baby.

Goodluck, hope you find something that works. :)

Offline PeppaPig

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • my 2nd little miracle...sean thomas
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2006, 20:22:16 pm »
My LO is constantly constipated and i give her apple puree for the day as her desserts after each meal and plenty of water/juice.

I also ensure she has plenty of vaseline on her bottom as i was advised it helps it to slip out easier.

Hope your LO is ok, i know how it is hunnee.

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2006, 10:16:06 am »
Blueberrys!

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2006, 22:02:39 pm »
PeppaPig, just wanted to let you know that Apples can be constipating too.  We find that if our DS drinks apple juice it really bungs him up.

Strangley though if he eats Bananna's then that helps him go.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline PeppaPig

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • my 2nd little miracle...sean thomas
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2006, 19:58:08 pm »
Tomtoms mum, thanks for that hunnee, i didnt know it could bung them up, It seems to have the opposite effect with my Lo tho so i will try without for a few days to see if there is any difference.
xx

Offline LeslieG

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2006, 16:34:19 pm »
When dd seems to have trouble I give her more liquids- watered down juice. Apples can go both ways, so can banana's but blueberries always work for us. We give her frozen blueberries...

Offline nursekat

• Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2006, 18:43:27 pm »
Just wanted to add what has worked for us - our pediatrician said to try 2oz of pear nectar a day or 1tsp of DARK karo syrup twice a day...it took us four stores to find the pear nectar which she wouldn't drink.   :-\   So we tried the karo syrup and it is magical!!  After we got her a little more regular, I went down to 1tsp once a day, then stopped it altogether.  If she gets bunged up again, we give her 1tsp a day for a day or two until she's regular again and then stop again.  It is nice because I don't have to watch what she eats anymore, either...

Offline ashleamc1

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2007, 02:22:50 am »
Has anyone heard of putting a teaspoon of dark brown corn syrup in a bottle with formula/bm to help with constipation?  My lo is also constipated, my grandmother told me to try it.  Never heard of it, not sure if it will work or if it is an old wives tale?? 

Offline nursekat

• Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2007, 19:23:07 pm »
Hi ashleamc, check out my post above yours - karo syrup is basically corn syrup.  It worked great for us!  We used it until we found out peaches is her magical poop food.  ;)

Offline Pens Fan

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2007, 13:30:11 pm »
Our little one suffered from constipation when her first two teeth popped through...  We used organic dried prunes.  Rehydrate them by boiling in water till they are plump then push through a sieve and add some of the cooking water- you can feed them directly or add to breakfast cereal or yogurt.  Worked a treat and much better than the sugar based med the DR gave us.
second timer

Offline JakesMom070606

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2007, 00:17:19 am »
I didn't have the chance to read all the posts, but my son is 6 1/2 months and has had chronic constipation for the last 2 months.  I had similar concerns about giving juice... I ended up buying some organic preservative/sugar-free prunes.  I boiled them and gave my son the water/juice from boiling.  It worked wonders and I felt a bit better about it than just giving him bottled juice.  My pediatrician said to avoid carrots and bananas, both of which are constipating.  (As well as rice cereal, not an issue for you though.)  We have tried everything!  (Different foods, etc).  We finally started giving 1/4 tsp psyllium in his food once daily.  (natural fiber).  HTH
-megan

Offline Zacs Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2007, 13:57:33 pm »
My first LO had constipation - a daily poop but rock hard.  Nothing worked until we were prescribed Paediatric Movicol, it softened them up and she started having huge daily soft poops, this allowed her lower intestine to shrink back to normal size and regain elasticity and she's pooped daily ever since with little problem.  My current LO has a similar problem, and the discussion on foods to avoid was varty valuable...thank you!

Offline mamaB

• First Time MaMa
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My little Pooh
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2007, 05:22:09 am »
My lo has the same problem right now (7 mo) and my doctor said to switch from rice to oats and to give her diluted prune juice. I have tried both things and they have not worked yet.  She has gone a little more but still just little ones.  My doctor said if worse comes to worse they do like a baby enima, which I am trying to avoid at the moment.  She said that as long as it keeps coming out and she seems fine most of the time that it isn't a problem.  But it sure is sad to see them cry when they go.  Let me know what works. 
Thanks for all the help!

Offline Aiden'sMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2007, 03:59:33 am »
Organic prunes stewed in water and then puree the prunes with some of the water they cooked in - works a treat!