Author Topic: Finally taking a solid and constipated!  (Read 1204 times)

Offline joylight

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 09, 2006, 16:05:29 pm »
Hi- Last time I posted under this board it was bc my ds was not interested in taking solids.  Well, he finally found favor with bananas!  So this is a great improvement- but-- since starting a week ago, he gets constipated and only has a BM every 2-3 days.  The stools are thicker (sorry to be so uncouth!)  but not hard pellets.  I know the true definition of constipation is a decrease in frequency and increase in consistency, but he seems so uncomfortable and strains all the time. This has not made my 2nd attempt at PUPD any easier.  My docs aren't helpful (I am looking for a new one...) but I don't want to get him "addicted" to stooling with a suppository.  I only BF him yesterday and while he seems to be more comfortable, at 6 mos, I think he needs something more (he also woke up @ 2am last night and didn't calm with PUPD until I fed him his early am feed an hr early at 4 am).

Ok- so after all that babbling here are my questions:

~he didn't like rice, barley cereal or butternut squash- is there anything sweet that doesn't bind stools? (I think apples contain Pectin like bananas- the ingredient found in Kaopectate and other anti-diarrheal Rx)
~I only fed him solids once a day- at his age should I be doing more?
~Any safe, non-addicting remedies for his constip?  Can I give him pears mashed up?  I hear that works like prunes, but los like it better...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Finally taking a solid and constipated!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 16:08:02 pm »
apples and bananas are both binding. sweet foods that are not (and in fact should help him go) include peas, prunes, peaches, pears, plums and apricots...

Once a day is fine for solids until you find a few foods he likes and tolerates. Then you can increase to two meals. I don't plan to do three meals until probably 9 months.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline joylight

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 00:32:23 am »
Thanks- I already tried pears and he really seemed to like it!

Is it true that a cereal will make him sleep longer? I know Tracy says that is a myth but everyone I talk to believes it worked for their babies.  Thanks again, Joy

Offline joylight

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 22:34:21 pm »
Hi- I was once again directed to this board by my moderators on the the sleep board.  My question is how I can give my lo more to eat during the day (now I am BF and giving one solid meal a day) to get him to last longer at night-- BUT still stay on a 4 hr feeding schedule? Thanks- Joy

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 13:23:41 pm »
Did you try rice mixed with fruit, if anything the rice will thicken the consistency of pears, etc.

When did you start giving him solids?

This post might help you! https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54820.0

HTH
Lauren x

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 15:01:30 pm »
Hiya,

DD recently had a problem with constipation and my health visitor told me to give dd more water. In the end I upped both the water I gave her with her meals and the amount of bf she had a day. Both seemed to have worked. I also have a great recipe for a dried fruit compote which dd loves. It will also make a great lowish sugar spread for bread/toast.

60g each of dried apricots, prunes, apples and pears.
1 dried fig
2cm piece of vanilla pod

Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 mins. Then puree to required consistency.

We then freeze in ice cube trays. dd has 2 cubes for her lunchtime pud.

Hope this helps
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)