Author Topic: Food for sleeping through the night - TIP  (Read 1300 times)

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Food for sleeping through the night - TIP
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:02:02 am »
We just discovered that whenever we give 3 Tbsp. of baby oatmeal cereal (mixed with formula) to DS as his last solid feeding (around 6 pm), he sleeps through the night. We have tried every other food, including protein (i.e. chicken or cod), thinking it would hold him longer, but the only thing that seems to work is oatmeal. If he doesn't get oatmeal, he wakes around 4 or 5 am hungry. I don't know if our experience is a unique one, but I wanted to share hoping it will help someone.

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Re: Food for sleeping through the night - TIP
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 04:58:34 am »
Hi thanks for the tip. When is your lo's bedtime? I am always afraid to feed too late as I dont want Gage to get a tummy ache. Does it have to be oatmeal or can it be rice? We have not tried oatmeal yet.

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:04:48 am »
DS has his last solid feed at 6, has a bath at 6:30, then DH reads to him then feeds him his last bottle for the day before putting him in the crib. I guess it works out to be about 6: 45-6:50 for the start of his last bottle. We have not discovered any problems with tummy aches as a result. By the way, we tried rice cereal, too, and it doesn't seem to work either. For some strange reason it's only oatmeal. HTH

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:23:00 am »
Hi Ladies

Just wanted to pop in and say that researchers suggest there really isn't that great a correlation between feeding solids and sleeping through the night - Gabrielle, glad that you found something that works for you though.

Cheers
Jo