Author Topic: Urgent Poll: Quick feeders: How long to drink a full bottle?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline ellenaaron

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1

How long does it take for your baby to take a full bottle? Do any of your babies drink a full bottle in 5 minutes?  I'm particularly interested to hear your answers for babies in the 2 month-old range.

The reason I ask is because my dd, who breastfeeds, lately refuses to nurse for more than 5 minutes total, and I'm wondering if it's possible that she is getting a full feed in 5 minutes.  I figure if a baby can drink a full bottle in 5 minutes, then a full feed in 5 minutes of nursing might be possible too. 

I'm really worried about my daughter, so your help is really appreciated!

~Ellen

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Urgent Poll: Quick feeders: How long to drink a full bottle?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 21:50:03 pm »
Ellen,

I really think it's hard to compare bf babies and bottle fed babies in regards to time. 

Have you checked out kellymom.com ?   That site has some valuable resources for bf mamas and you may find some answers there. 

I read your post over on the bfing forum and I think if you are very concerned with her time, that you should contact your dr ASAP.  I guess you need to trust your gut instinct on this one.  I think if she's having the correct number of wet and dirties as I think you mentioned, then she is getting what she needs.  The other option is to contact a Lactation consultant or a breast feeding clinic and have your daughter weighed before you nurse her and then after, so that way you will know exactly how many ozs she has had.

I hope that helps.

{{hugs}}
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline ellenaaron

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 23:18:11 pm »
Weighing her before and after a feed is a great idea...I wonder if I could just do that at the doctor's office, since it's right down the street from me?

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 00:47:30 am »
I think that's a great idea.  Call and get in there so you can rest your worries.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)