Author Topic: when to introduce whole milk  (Read 909 times)

Offline ryleesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 15, 2006, 16:17:57 pm »
i am just wondering when should i introduce whole milk insteadof breast milk

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: when to introduce whole milk
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 20:41:19 pm »

Hi

Do you mean full fat cows milk??  :-\ The earliest would be when your Lo is 12 months.

How old is your LO?
Lauren x

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:05:27 am »
I would double check that with your Lo's pediatrician.  My friend's son was 10 months and was given the OK to start trying cow's milk.  He was 24 pounds, eating solids well and was breast feeding 2x a day.  They began giving him a bottle of cow's milk before naptime, and increased it to having milk with solids as well.  I think it does really depend on the baby and when the doctor gives the OK, cuz everyone has a different opinion.

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:42:50 am »
Its normally 12 months but do double check with your doc first, like cwolff said every baby is diffrent!

Offline thedavies

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 00:43:05 am »
Can I reopen this thread coz I am confused about cows milk too - DS is 15 mths and BFs still am and before bed (boy does she love it - no signs of self-weaning yet!!!) She has been happy to have cow's milk with a bowl of cereal at breakfast - if you spoon it to her, but not keen to take it from a cup. She does have quite a bit of dairy in form of cheese in cooking, yoghurt etc but has lately gone off those. She drinks a lot of very diluted unsweetened o juice, but should I be encouraging her to have more milk now from a cup? I read recently she should have 24 oz of cows daily but am guessing the BFs contribute some of that..? thanks

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • The owl says "whooo whooo".
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 22:16:29 pm »
I started giving Brandon cow's milk at 12 months, but I have heard of some mothers giving their babies cow's milk around 11 months. I've also heard of them watering it down a bit. Our doctor told us he needs to get 16-28 oz. of milk a day. Brandon wasn't too keen on taking it but he loved to take it from a bottle. Since I was trying to ween him from the bottle at this time I would also give him yogurt and cheese which he loved. He eventually got to where he would take in more from the cup. I also want to mention I gave him dairy products before he turned 12 months and that it was ok. It was when we started table foods (around 10 months?) and he did fine with it. Hope this helps!