Author Topic: lactose intolerant after stomach bug??  (Read 2392 times)

Offline mindyjo_p

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • loving my giddy singin' dancin' toddler
lactose intolerant after stomach bug??
« on: March 15, 2006, 20:38:17 pm »
Hello all, looking for info. from anyone who might have been in this situation before.  Our 16 month old DS had an ear infection which started on Feb. 13, was prescribed antibiotics which made him violently ill, terrible diarreah, cramps etc. so only took 3 days worth, got a bit better and then 5 days later developed a rash, high fever and vomited for 16 hours, was sick and not eating for several days and just when he seemed on the mend, got diarreah (again) and another fever for a few days.  Now, he's pretty much back to his normal goofy self but was waking up screaming in the night with what looked like horrible gas pains and would squirm around until he passed gas, then fall asleep for about half an hour only to have it come and go all night.  During the day he was very fussy and wanted to be held most of the time, also very gassy.  About 3 days ago, he refused his milk (whole) which he usually loves and that day he seemed so much better SO, on a whim I decided to hold off on dairy altogether for a few days to see what would happen.  He is his old self again but I'm worried about making sure we're covering his nutritional needs without dairy - specifically Vit. D and calcium.

I did unearth a few articles on the web that mention that sometimes a toddler will become lactose intolerant for a month or two (good grief) after a stomach illness.  My question is this, has anyone had experience with this and how did you deal with it?  when did you re-introduce dairy and how? 

thanks in advance!
Mindy
Mum to Andrew Magnus, born Nov. 9/04.  Grumpy/Touchy baby turned Textbook/Spirited toddler.

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: lactose intolerant after stomach bug??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:25:31 am »
Nope, never tried it.  DD still too little.  A temporary intolerance makes sense though.  Will he eat yogurt?   Also, probiotics will help get his little gut back in shape.  They are in health food stores in the refrigerated section.  Antibiotics also kill the good bacteria in the gut.  Probiotics and yogurt help put them back.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.