Author Topic: thickening formula with thicken up  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Elisabeth and Victorias mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My baby sister, cute!!!
thickening formula with thicken up
« on: March 16, 2006, 02:34:50 am »
My dd is 9 weeks, 3 weeks adjusted and has been diagnosed with silent reflux.  I started adding a corn starch based thickener to her formula "thicken up" and I am not sure what to do about the amounts she should be getting.  Before we thickened her formula she was sucking dry 60 mls and we started to give her 90mls and she started to drain some of her bottles.  Now she takes the amount speratically, 50mls here 80mls there and only taking a daily total of around 390mls, she was taking 520mls a day before we thickened the formula.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how much I should be giving her or any expereince with thickening agents.  She ways 6.7lbs. I feed her 5 times a day with a dreamfeed, no cluster feeding she did not take to them.  Thanks
u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]  []

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: thickening formula with thicken up
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 03:05:34 am »
In Australia we have already thicken formula or thickener you can add to the formula. We started DD on thickened formula first and she had a hard time drinking it as it was to thick for her. So we went back to her old formula and just added thickener to the consistancy that she was able to drink. Also thickened formula sits heavier in their stoamch so would probably make them feel fuller quicker.
By the way reflux is a horrible thing my DD had reflux but was a chuky baby as well. I though it would never end and i would be thickening her milk forever but finally now at just over 7 months we have been able to stop thickening her formula and hardly chucks anymore. So their is a light at the end of the tunnel  :)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07