Author Topic: don't know how much to freeze  (Read 745 times)

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
don't know how much to freeze
« on: March 17, 2006, 04:32:46 am »
I want to start making My own baby food, and at the moment i make up food for my baby at night and she eats with us weather it be mashed potato and veg or what ever we are having, my question is... my baby is 9 months old and I'm not sure what quantities to make up and freeze? i thought that ice cubes would be to small? can any one help with this??

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: don't know how much to freeze
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 04:38:21 am »
You can thaw 2-3 cubes at a time for larger portions.  I use small tupperware type containers that hold about 1/2 cup, but DS is just starting solids so he eats 1/2 of one at mealtime.

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline ozswiss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: don't know how much to freeze
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 04:59:44 am »
Hi

When my DD (12 months on Monday - woo hoo) was starting solids I froze the food in ice cubes. I normally did 2 trays worth at a time to make it more convenient. I also did all veg seperately, and mixed at meal times eg 1 cube carrot with 2 pumpkin.

When I was consistently using 3-4 cubes I found that I was having to cook too often (I'm a bit lazy) so I went to Coles (this info is Oz-ccentric :-) ) and they have little containers - 3 for $1.18. They come in a range of sizes but I bought the 250 mls ones. At first you can use 1 for 2 meals, but eventually you will need 1 per meal.

These are great when bub gets older for taking raisins etc out for snacks too

I hope this helps.

ps Don't freeze potato on its own - it needs to be mixed with other veg - it goes very rubbery