Author Topic: Dumb question - recipe calls for apple juice concentrate...  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Hsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Dumb question - recipe calls for apple juice concentrate...
« on: March 17, 2006, 08:32:49 am »
Maybe this is a dumb question but I was going to make the baby-friendly birthday cake and the recipe calls for apple juice concentrate. I'm British but live in Japan and foreign ingredients are sometimes tricky - could I use regular apple juice instead? Or some kind of subsitute as I've never seen apple juice concentrate here...Thanks in advance! (I've not got time to get it imported online!)
Emma
Harry 24/03/05

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Dumb question - recipe calls for apple juice concentrate...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:45:04 am »
Does the recipe ask for reconstituting it with water first? If not, maybe you could boil down some apple juice to make it stronger and more syrupy? Or maybe it doesn't really matter and regular juice will be fine.

Sorry, not much help am I? I can't imagine it would matter too much. Can you do a test run first before the big day?

Offline Hsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:53:13 am »
Thanks for the quick reply! Apparently you boil the carrots in the concentrate but there's no mention of water...This is also going to sound dumb - I'm thinking of doing a trial run but baking ingredients are so expensive here  - the cake's going to cost about GBP 25 or US$50 to make!!!

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:00:27 am »
If it's just as a means of boiling the carrots, I'd just go with straight juice, I'm sure it will still take on the sweet flavour.

:o at the price on ingredients!

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 19:30:54 pm »
I agree, My mum and I actually cook our carrots for dinner like this alot but with orange juice, gives them a lovely flavour. We just use normal orange juice you'd have at home for drinking in the fridge.
Kimberley