Author Topic: Specific questions...  (Read 1105 times)

Offline RachelandGarry

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 17, 2006, 11:20:55 am »
Hi girls

I'm expecting my first baby soon and trying to decide on a rough routine now, so I know what to expect. (within baby-willing reason obviously!)

1) On the EASY routine, Tracy suggests 1 -3 months they have 3 naps of 1.5 hours and 5 - 6 hours at night. That makes 9.5 - 10.5 hours sleep in a 24 hour period, but she recommends 15 - 18.  How does that work?

2) Tracy suggests 0 - 1 month they have an hours nap in every 3 hours, which means you're feeding on that cycle as well, so if you have 3 hours broken down in to 30 minutes feeding, 60 minutes sleeping then that means you have 90 minutes of activity which seems odd at newborn age...??

3) I am going to formula feed and she says newborns can often go for 4 hours between feeds, so how much sleep would  I then aim for?

Would really appreciate some help on this, because I can't see how I can possibly make it work based on the above.

Thanks in advance
Rachel
x

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Specific questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 16:20:58 pm »
1) On the EASY routine, Tracy suggests 1 -3 months they have 3 naps of 1.5 hours and 5 - 6 hours at night. That makes 9.5 - 10.5 hours sleep in a 24 hour period, but she recommends 15 - 18.  How does that work?
Well, the 5-6 hrs at night means a stretch of sleep before baby wakes for a feed (on average), then you would hope for another 5-6 hrs of sleep.  Our ped told us not to dd go longer than 4-5 hrs without a feed the first 4 weeks, so every ped is different.  This meant I had to wake her.  Most babies will wake on their own when they are hungry, but you should ask your lo's ped for guidelines.

2) Tracy suggests 0 - 1 month they have an hours nap in every 3 hours, which means you're feeding on that cycle as well, so if you have 3 hours broken down in to 30 minutes feeding, 60 minutes sleeping then that means you have 90 minutes of activity which seems odd at newborn age...??
I tried to find this, but I'm not sure where in the book you found that, but in the very early weeks (0-6), baby won't be able to do much A time past eating (which you count in the total A time), diaper change, and cuddles with mom and dad.  I personally recommend not letting baby nap longer than 2-2.5 hrs each cycle so that they become accustomed to the day/night difference and feeding cycles.   Also, if baby sleeps too much in the day, he won't need/want to sleep at night.  However, this almost always happens from what I've seen from others and myself, and there's not always much you can do about it until baby outgrows it.

3) I am going to formula feed and she says newborns can often go for 4 hours between feeds, so how much sleep would I then aim for?
Just remember that in the early weeks baby might not be able to take in too much with each feeding b/c their tummies are so small, and, therefore, will need to feed more often.  Also, every baby is different and may or may not be able to go every 4 hrs before feeding.  I would check with the EAT forums, bottle feeding in particular if that's what you'll be doing, for some specific guidance on this.  Still, you would probably aim for 2 hrs of nap time.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline RachelandGarry

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 18:49:54 pm »
Hi Heather. Thanks for the reply to my questions. I'm a dufus, I totally misunderstood what the book said. Now I realise she means the nighttime naps can usually be for 5 - 6 hours at a time instead of the 1.5. Doh!!

With the second point, it was on the same chart as the 1 - 3 months bit. When you say nap no longer than 2 - 2.5 hrs each cycle, what should I consider a cycle?  Is it 3 hour cycle or 4 hours?

I am not sure I'm going to be able to have all this sorted in my head before baby arrives, I think some of it is going to be wait and see. I don't like doing that because I feel out of control but I guess it is all part of how it works!

Thanks again for your answers. Much appreciated!

Rachel x

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Specific questions...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 19:02:54 pm »
Hi Rachel,

Quote (selected)
Is it 3 hour cycle or 4 hours?

It is a 3hr EASY.

But bear in mind no baby is alike.  When I brought my DD home, she was basically eating every 2.5hrs have her nappy change and then sleeping.  She only got on to a 3hr EASY when she was about 2 months. 

Basically read your baby's cues, if she is hungry feed her, if she is tired put in down for a nap.  Things change so much in a few weeks but if you have you a routine basically (EASY) then as the weeks go on you will have a baby who is content and happy, and the longer they can stay awake you will see the EASY actually coming through.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel