Author Topic: What's going on??  (Read 1096 times)

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
What's going on??
« on: March 17, 2006, 13:06:27 pm »
I am so discouraged...It has been almost two weeks since I began the BW routine. I had several reasons for starting it: sleep longer through the night, get rid of my accidental parenting problems (bring DD into bed with me after the 4:00 a.m. waking, bf to bed at night), and she also was taking only one or two 45 minute naps a day and then wouldn't want to go to sleep until around 10:00 p.m.  SO.....I had many reasons for beginning the BW sleep training. I feel that after this long I should be seeing more results and yet I feel that DD has actually had setbacks. I am not sure why she would have gone from waking only twice a night to numerous times. My main question for this morning is now that my daughter has begun waking at 5:00 (will do p.u./p.d.) and then again at 6:00(also do pu/pd)...sometimes she won't fall back asleep until I pick her up at 7:00.  B/c of this earlier wake time...she is going to want to go down for her nap earlier. Do I still try and keep her up till 8:30 or do I let her go down an hour & a half after her real wake time (which was around 6:00 a.m. this morning?) There are so many factors to this program..sometimes I get so confused and discouraged. I feel as though I am almost messing up her sleep more now than before we started. ):

Any encouragement/help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is her routine:

How old is your child? Just turned 5 months
What’s his/her daily routine? 3.5 hours EASY routine
What’s nap routine? 2 naps a day plus short catnap @ 5:00 (sometimes)
How long are naps? beginning to be from 1 to 2 hrs each
What's bedtime routine? Time? Start routine no later than 7:15. Falls asleep w/in 20 to 30 min
Do you bottle or breastfed??  breastfed
How much? or how long? The max she usually goes is 20 min (usually only 12-15)
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed). Usually one side at each feeding. Lately been feeding both sides to try to up her intake.
How many wakes per night? It was 2 before I began baby whisperer EASY and p.u./p.d.  (since beginning BW it has been much more)
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Normallly wakes crying, sometimes babbling. Up no more than 30 min
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Mix of fussing/Crying (not mantra in the middle of the night)
What have you tried to settle?? lay my hand on her back (doesn't like patting) and I whisper "we're just going night night". This actually has begun to calm her over the past week.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? play gym, johnny jumper, a walk outside, baby einstein video, or exersaucer. What ever suits her at that time. I do watch to make certain she isn't getting overstimulated.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Starting to roll over a little (but not in crib)
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? I have introduced it a few weeks ago at my pedi's recommendation. My daughter was a bit light compared to the average. I believe that was why she said I could begin rice cereal. I don't give it every day though.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? I did use brstfdg before begining the BW training as well as bringing her into my bed every so often when she would wake at 4:00 a.m.
Do they have a lovie. I have given her one just recently. She seems to like it.

Offline shelliz

Re: What's going on??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 16:42:20 pm »
Anyone there???

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 16:19:30 pm »
the cereal may be causing some gas and be causing the night wakings as if she's uncomfortable will not be able to resettle through her sleep cycles.  it does seem like you are trying to straighten A LOT of issues out all at once and my suggestion is to go very slow and one thing at a time as not to confuse your lo so much.  i would first start with the 4 hr routine and trying to eliminate reasons for the night wakings (gas, upset belly, maybe something in your diet - have u tried eliminating anything?) then move onto tackling the night wakings after that. as far as adding formula - if you are bfing and want to continue i wouldn't add any formula - if u think it is a supply issue you can pump to increase it but to me it doesn't sound like that is the case to me...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline shelliz

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 18:04:12 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  I have never considered adding formula. If anything it would have been a feeding of rice cereal a day. But I have cut that out to see if it may have been causing her tummy troubles.  Since this post she has been responding beautifully to the BW strategy!  The naps and 4 hrs easy were the first things to improve. She is now taking 2 long naps (1 1/2-2 hrs) and one cat nap. She is eating at 7, 11, 3, 7 and a late feeding b/w 10-11.  She is still waking at least one other time during the night (usually b/w 3-4:00 a.m.). For now I am happy at her mastering the other issues at hand. I am not going to push the night waking issue just yet. I am so happy with what she has accomplished so far. No more crying (hardly at ALL) when I put her down for naps or at night. Maybe one or two p.u/p.d. during naps and night. This is coming from a baby that just two weeks ago had to be walked or brstfed to sleep and would also get put in bed with me at 4:00 a.m. b/c of her moms laziness. There were a couple of nights that I wasn't sure it was going to work or that all of her crying would ever stop.  I am very pleased. So far it is a success story! Thank you for your posts. 

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 04:48:44 am »
glad to hear that things are better.  and imho if lo does happen to wake earlier than usual and u can't get her back to sleep at all and have to start the day then i wouldn't necessarily put her to sleep after a half hr or whatever to 'make up' for lost sleep but stick to a routine like usual just an earlier one i would leave the same amount of time in between naps as usual - maybe try extending by a little bit but not to the point where lo is overtired b/c then u definately will have night wakings/early morning wakings due to dd being overtired.  again, glad to hear things ironed themselves out - hope it continues down that path!!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005