Author Topic: Won't Drink Formula at all  (Read 2316 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Won't Drink Formula at all
« on: March 17, 2006, 17:56:43 pm »

I have been having such problems with DS (8 Months) these past couple of days - He has now decided that he does not drink formula in any way.  I have tried everything, Bottle, Sippy Cup, Staw, Cup and he just shakes his head and will not drink it.  Today he has not had any mild what so ever.  I am so stressed and sooooo worried.

I spoke to my HV and she said that some babies go off their milk at that age and that I should not worry as long as he is taking other fluids - which he is.  She says that I cannot force him to drink it which I know that I cant, but I still cant help worrying.  She has suggested that I up his intake of liquids by giving him ice lollies and jelly etc.

He has been eating his food like a champ although has gone off his breakfast.  At first I thought he was just ready to drop his afternoon bottle, but not all of them at once.

Has anyone else been having any similar problems and can anyone give me any advice.  I am in a corner and don't know which way to go.   

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks xx
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Won't Drink Formula at all
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 18:57:49 pm »
Could he have an ear infection? Many babies won't drink (hurts to suck) when they have an ear infection... Perhaps get him checked over?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 21:02:44 pm »
Hi Paula

Sorry, I'am not sure, DS isn't that age yet so I haven't has any experience of him refusing point blank.  Are you still able to give yogurts and his other solids?
Lauren x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:27:53 am »
Hi there

Thanks for your replies.

I don't think he has an ear infection as he seems very happy in every other aspect.

Yes I am still giving him all his solids and yogurts etc.  This morning I tried again with the formula and he was not having it.  Put it in a bottle first but no, tried his sippy still not, offered him some juice and water and he drank both of them from a sippy.

I just gave him his porrige with 2 oz of formula in it, but could not get him to take any more.

Hope to keep on hearing peoples opinions.

Thanks

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 13:31:44 pm »
I have been looking on the internet for you, so other things to try;

heating milk at different temperature
Can someone else try and give him it instead (you may have already tried this?)
Could it be teething?

Does he still have lots of wet nappies?
Lauren x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 17:31:32 pm »
Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your response.

Lots of people have tried giving his bottles to him and still nothing - He has only ever taken his bottles warm and refuses cold bottles, but the thing is he won't even let the bottle near his mouth - he just keeps on shaking his head.  I tried it in a sippy cup and he will take it but as soon as he realises it is milk he will refuse it - he still drinks his juice and water from his sippy.

He is more than likely teething, but is not showing many signs - I feel in his mouth and cannot feel anything cutting through.

His nappies are still wet, but I am trying to give him as much liquid as possible as I know that he needs it.

Could it just be that he has gone off his milk completely?

The HV said to me yesterday that some babies do go off their milk completely.  She suggested that I give him Ice pops and jelly to try and get more liquid into his diet.  He does not like the jelly but the ice pops are going down a treat.

I am worried that he is not taking enough fluid and am really concerned - I am going to make an appointment with the HV and see if they can give me any more suggestions.

For his dinner this eveing I added 2 oz of formula to it and he ate it, so at least I know he is getting some milk in him.  If he refuses his bottle again tonight - which he probably will as he has not had any today, I will give him a dream feed.  I did this last night, but he only took 4 oz.

Thanks for your advice and if you can think of anything, please let me know.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 17:34:17 pm »
if he is teething, try and rub some stuff on his gums first then try the bottle.
Lauren x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 17:50:17 pm »
Hi Lauren,

I have tried that - it used to work when his teeth were bothering him, I used to put a bit of bonjela on the gums, and wipe the rest on the teat and he took his bottle.  It is not working now.

I have been chatting to the ladies in the Birth Clubs, and they have suggested that I give him his meals as usual but do not give him any snacks inbetween, and he will soon learn to take his bottle again.  I am going to try this and see how it goes, as it has been nearly 3 days that he has not taken a proper bottle from me - besides the dream feed.

Thanks again for your advice, it is appreciated.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 17:55:04 pm »
Didn't realise you where from the UK (although you taking about HV's should have given it away  ::)), have you tried ANBESOL, it is much stronger than bongela. My HV recommended it to me over bongela. She said that babies just swallow bongela before it has time to work. Anbesol actually numbs the gums. I buy it from my local chemist, not sure if boots sell it.

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/a/anbesol/anbesol_liquid.htm

..just on you saying that about the d/feed.

I found that when DS is playing up with his milk, he feeds better when he is very tired (for a nap or bedtime). I hear it's because their more relaxed. I know it goes againt easy but if you can try to feed him before a nap when he is tired and more relaxed you may get something in him  ??? ???
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 17:57:34 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 18:37:19 pm »
I have not heard of that - I will give it a try - At the moment I am trying the Ashton on Palmers teething powders and they work really well - but not good enough for him to take a bottle  :( I will have a look for that tomorrow and let you know.

He usually takes his last bottle really well as he is quite tired, and sometimes falls asleep on the bottle, but even that one he is refusing now.  He was due for his last bottle about 20 minutes ago, but am holding off to see if DP can tire him out a bit more and see if that helps - He is getting pretty ratty so fingers crossed it works.

I will post again once I have tried him with his bottle.

Thanks again for your advice.  This site is really giving me strength to persever.

Thanks again.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 19:12:45 pm »
Wohooooooo   ;D

I guess I am going to have to eat my words  :D

DS just took 6 oz - I left him for about 40 over his due time and he got really ratty then I gave him his bottle and he just started drinking.  He fell asleep on his bottle but I don't care as he has taken his bottle.

I feel like doing cart wheels

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 19:17:58 pm »
 8)

Congrats, hope he keeps that up for you!! ;)
Lauren x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 19:24:50 pm »
Thanks - I will keep you posted on how he is doing - Fingers crossed that his strike is over and he will start taking his bottles again.  :)

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 18:20:13 pm »
Paula Hows the feeding getting on?
Lauren x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 20:58:59 pm »
Lauren,

The feeding is going ok - on and off - He is taking his bottles some of the times but not all of them - He will not take a bottle from MIL which makes it difficult while I am at work :-(

I took him to get weighed today and he has lost 4 oz - the HV did not seem too worried about it, so I am just going to persever.

He definitely is teething though as his face came out in a rash today.

At least he is taking some milk now, and am managing to get about 16oz down him which is a lot better than what we were doing last week.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

xx