Author Topic: Help with gental removal plan  (Read 1093 times)

Offline juliandgrey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 20, 2006, 13:58:25 pm »
Ok, Gavin is 11 weeks old...about to be 12 weeks.  He is a pacifier baby..only uses it though when he naps and at nighttime.  Lately at night he has been waking up every hour starting around 12 or 1 until he wakes for the day (around 6ish).  I have no idea how to do this gental removal plan....i've read everything but it just didn't work with us last night.  He sleeps on his back, so there's no way i can pat/shush him....tapping him on his stomach just made him wake up even more.  He naps on his stomach (i know...bad mom) and i can shush him that way....and yesterday I was able to intervene before that 45 min. awakening and stayed with him about 15 more minutes helping him get back to a deep sleep and it worked!  No pacifier needed.  Of course this may have bee a fluke that it worked...but it did :P  so....help me do it at night.  Since i had SEVERAL times that I could experiment with, i tried the pat/shush...made him mad and woke him up.  I fed him....still woke after that every hour.  I tried the gental removal plan but every time i took out his pacifier, he started crying.  I tried to let him be and see where that got us.....nowhere haha.  He woke up big time then and was madder than fire!  I repositioned him a few times and that seemed to help...put him on his side.  (he has a positioner to help him stay that way).

I just don't know what to do or where I went wrong.  i'm still going to do it today and tonight....just wanted to get some input before i did the same thing wrong again.

thanks!
Juli

Offline juliandgrey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:04:13 am »
bumping up..i really need some help!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Help with gental removal plan
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:41:54 am »
you say he is just using the paci to fall asleep?...not to necessarily get back to sleep??  is there maybe an underlying issue at the root of this problem?...tummy problems - gas, tummy ache, anything of that sort? what does his routine look like?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Help with gental removal plan
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:42:20 am »
oh and what kind of a bedtime routine do you have?  does he put himself to sleep?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline juliandgrey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 14:45:51 pm »
He uses the pacifier to put himself to sleep at naptimes..and then when he wakes up around that 45 min. mark he has to have it again (it fell out by then).  Now at nighttime it's totally different.  He doesn't use the pacifier to go to sleep and will stay asleep from 7ish until around 12...but then he starts waking up every hour for the pacifier.  I've tried feeding him to see if it's just hunger but he still does it even after the feed.

our bedtime routine is that we wind down around 6ish and start the bath around 6:30.  then we do a massage with lotion as we're dressing for bedtime.  Then he's swaddled and fed his last bottle.  Then i lay him down and he goes right off to sleep.

Last night he was up every hour again and we made SURE that he got atleast 5 hours of naptime in...even though some of it i had to hold him because he wakes up constantly for that pacifier during his naps.  he's down for his first morning nap and HAD to have his pacifier to go to sleep.  i tried to just hold him and get him to sleep that way without the pacifier....and tried just patting him and shushing...he screamed for 15 min. solid, almost to the point of throwing up (or was that me haha) and i picked him up, gave him the pacifier and he was asleep before the 1 min. mark.  i'm at my wits end.  I know i should take the pacifier away but it kills me to see him soooooo upset.

Juli