Author Topic: Has anyone been on holidays to Hobart, Tasmania?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Has anyone been on holidays to Hobart, Tasmania?
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:43:19 am »
I am hoping someone has been to Tassy (Hobart area) recently and has any suggestions/recommendations about fun things to do with a little one.  We will have a 13 month old and a four year old with us. 

In particular I am keen for ideas on how to keep the little one active.  She gets annoyed being in the pram all the time (who wouldn't!) and likes to get into things. I am hoping to plan some things that keep us all happy!

Has anyone been to  Zoo Doo?  any good?

Cheers,
Char
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Nicholas & Steven's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Has anyone been on holidays to Hobart, Tasmania?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:13:50 am »
Mum101 - not sure if you still need this info but I'll give it anyway.

We did a trip to Tasmania last December. We were in Hobart for 4 days and decided that was too much time. The best thing there we found for kids was the Hobart aquatic center. There's a great kids swimming area, little slide for toddlers and a big one that's not too deep for the parents to take the kids on too. It will be quite cold  there now so not sure really what to tell you. There was a really great park on Sandy Beach Rd (I think that's what it was - a shop clerk with 2 yr old told us about it. ) We also went to Port Arthur  - that was ok but it's a long drive and not a lot to see along the way. There is a lot of running space for the kids but again, it's pretty cold now.

We live in Alice Springs but have traveled a lot in Australia...not sure where you are, so if you need any other info on other OZ citie...let me know.

Kristin
Mom to Nicholas 2 1/2 and Steven 13 Months
Kristin
Mom to Nicholas - Sept 2003
and Steven - April 2005

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 11:32:56 am »
Hi Kristen,

We have been and gone!  :) We had a good trip, went to the Botanical gardens, Port Arthur, Zoo Doo (that was great), and Cadbury factory. Not very exciting for Rory at the factory, but hubby was pretty happy!
But I am glad to hear from you.  We are just organising a trip to Hamilton Island, we decided to go there because it has some good stuff for kids.  They have a creche which caters for young ones in 3 hour sessions (Rory is 15months) and lots of activities. 
We were originally planning on Alice Springs and Uluru, but wasn't sure there would be much for Rory and didn't want to spend all our time wrangling a bored bub. What's it like up there for travelling with a little one?

thanks for the response!
cheers
charmaine

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 23:37:52 pm »
Hi Charmaine -

Sounds like you had a great time! I'm not familiar with Hamilton Island but sounds like it'll be good for all of you - you get some time by your self and with hubby and Rory will get some playtime activities. Evven getting an hour to yourself on holiday is always a GREAT thing!

Being in Alice is pretty good. I've not been to Uluru but know people who've been with little ones and it's good if you have a baby backpack to carry them in. You do the walk around and they eventually fall asleep in the back pack. Kings Canyon is supposed to be better for the walking treks and prettier than Uluru.

As far as things to do in Alice, I could be busy with something every day with the boys if I never wanted a day at home...
The Desert Park is great for kids to walk around, see the animals...you get the picture. The Reptile center is interesting but that might be a bit old for Rory but you might like it. There is a indoor play gym sort of thing called Squiggles. And there is some sort of play group or kid thing going on almost everyday but those would probably be hard to find out about for a visitor. Also the telegraph station is nice to visit. Lots of room to run around, some good walking tracks and hike up a little mountain (more of a rock pile but mountain sounds much cooler to a 2 yr old :) ) Also, drives out to Simpson's gap, Standley Chasm and Glen Helen are nice too. Kids get a work out walking around, spotting lizards and such.

There are non kids things like the Royal flying doctor service tour, the School of the air, and general souvenir shopping (although normal everyday shopping is not the towns strong point!)

I don't know of any places that have drop in child care services but if you break the day up, it wouldn't be too bad.

It's getting cold here now but I definitely don't recommend coming here in the summer! The heat is too crazy for little guys as they get pretty cranky. And the flies are HORRIBLE! Something to consider...

Hope you have a good time at Hamilton Island.
Cheers,
Kristin
Kristin
and Steven - April 2005

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 23:45:35 pm »
Charmaine -

Just in case you haven't been there - Cairns is great for families with little kids too. I was totally amazed at how small the town was considering it's why a lot of travelers come to Australia (for the Great Barrier Reef).
They have the best kids playground/water features park called Muddy's Playground next to walk by the mud flats.
And there's VERY large pool at the Esplanade that looks as if it drops right into the ocean. It has a sandy area near the water so the kids can play in the sand and do beachy things but it's totally safe. Both  the pool and Muddy's playground are FREE! We did the Scenic train ride to a villiage in the rain forest but can't remember the name and also did a trip on the Big Cat to Green Island. Those were both good too.

This may be more info than you wanted to know but thought I'd share since it's one the best trips we've had and I can say that with even having had 2 kids under 2!

see ya,
Kristin
Kristin
and Steven - April 2005

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 07:44:24 am »
Hi Kristen,

I used to live in Cairns! I considered it, but then it means I have to spend most of my time up in Atherton at my Mums. Then it's not a holiday anymore!
We are having great trouble organising the trip to Hamilton Island, but now I have my heart set on it.  We are going because we have a travel voucher we won for Qantas.  An awesome win thanks to my Mum, but it's proving quite hard to spend.  Who'd thought a free-trip could be so difficult!

cya :D
Charmaine

Offline NikiB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Mum to Saskia, born 18-Jan-05
    • Cognitive Behaviour Therapy 24/7
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 15:35:47 pm »
Hiya, thought I'd hop in on the conversation.....we went to hamilton Island just for the day when we travelled Oz last year. From what I remember it was a bit like Fantasy Island with all these little buggies to get around (not greatly toddler friendly though)! There's a nice marina part-great fish n chip shop with loads of cockatoos to feed (naughtily) but otherwise I must say I didn't think there was much to do without car hire. Mind you Saskia was only 6/7 months old or thereabouts, probably much different with older bubsters.
Hope you enjoy it.
the boat ride is fab!
Niki

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 15:39:11 pm »
This will only mean anything to those who know the Hobart, Tasmania radio jingle (they used to play it on London's Capital 95.8fm), but it sure sounds like a great place to go!  :)

OK, I'm so sad. And should be doing better things with my "Y" time, but I googled it, and found the jingle.

http://www.zen77094.zen.co.uk/vintagebroadcasting/audio/322.mp3

Hope you have fun!

Katy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 15:43:08 pm by katriona »

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:45:37 am »
Thanks for all your replies.   :D

Only 3 weeks to go!

I've heard about the buggies, they sound like fun.  You need to put a $500 bond down, I bet a few of them are found in the pools at 3am1