Author Topic: Spit - up!!!  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Musicteachersheff

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 21, 2006, 13:52:27 pm »
I've been amazed at how easily my daughter has taken to being put down awake for daytime naps after activity.  However if I put her right down after a night feeding she promptly spits up all over herself.  To avoid this the only thing I've been able to come up with is to rock her for 20-30 minutes in an upright position which results in her falling asleep.

How do you all deal with spitty babies following the baby whisperer at night?

Offline emlay

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 18:06:08 pm »
My first child was a habitual spitter for the first 8 months of his life.  I had not read the BW at that time, so we just dealt the best way we could.  He would spit up not just after his bottle but maybe even up to two hours after he ate.  We could not go any where with out him 2/3 outfits and of course I had an extra set of clothes myself.  We tried everything to help him, but nothing worked.  He took Zantac for acid reflux and this helped a little.  Then one day he just stopped!  I, to this day, do not know the cause of the spitting but just know that your DD will stop soon.  One suggestion is to elevate her mattress in her crib. Or feed her 20 to 30 minutes before you put her down for the night.  I know it can be frustrating but hang in there.
Heather :)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Re: Spit - up!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 18:41:32 pm »
The other suggestions from our ped were to let Theron sleep in his carseat, papasan chair, swing, or the Amby hammock that we already owned -- anything that contains an elevation. Thankfully the hammock worked for us.

We found that Zantac worked to control the acidity of his reflux slightly, but it wasn't till we were prescribed Prevacid that we noticed a huge reduction in the quantity of the reflux, as well as his discomfort. It is very pricey though. So much so that we're hoping to wean him off it in the next month if possible. ( >:( >:(durn US health system, having to choose between beans on toast for every meal, or my son having the medicine he needs, gah  >:( >:()