Author Topic: 3 Month Old Still Not Sleeping Through The Night After 8 Days on E.A.S.Y.  (Read 1304 times)

Offline AddyGirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

Hopefully someone can help me.  I’ve been following the EASY approach for about 8 days now.  My daughter is 3 months old (yesterday), weights a healthy 15.5 lbs. Before the EASY method my daughter was sleeping at best 5 hours at night by 10 weeks.  Since starting the EASY method, after four days she began to sleep 6 to 7 hours, which is an improvement, but I was hoping she would be sleeping longer at night by now. She can’t seem to make it past 5 AM in the morning without wanting to eat.  I’m going back to work in a couple of weeks and was hoping she could sleep through the night by the time I go back.  In a nutshell, her routine is:

*  Feedings: 6 day time feedings of 6 oz. (every 2 ½ - 3 hours) starting at 8 AM. The last two feedings of the day are about 2 hours apart. She’s usually in bed by 10 PM. One 5 AM feeding, that we can’t seem to get past.

*  Active time is usually 1 hour

*  Naps average about 1 hour, with usually one 2-hour nap. She naps best in a swing, but does take a shorter nap in her crib. When napping in her crib, I can put her down while she’s still awake and she’ll fall asleep on her own but does awake sooner than in the swing.

*  Nighttime sleep: I swaddle her, or tuck her covers tightly under the wedge (that keeps her on her back). Occasionally, because her arms start moving so erratically, as she’s starting to wake or get upset, I’ll sometimes tuck her arms under the covers and pull them tightly so they aren’t moving freely.

*  Props: She has a paci (recommended by her pedi), but I only use it when I’m having a difficult time getting her to soothe herself, (for example, if she wakes up too early form her nap and wants to eat) she doesn’t take it to fall asleep at night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  After three months of less than 6 hours of sleep, I’m starting to become very tired!!!

Kind regards :),
Patty

Offline AddyGirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
I just found these questions, so I thought I would post them all and answer the ones I haven't already.

How old is your child? 3months

What’s his/her daily routine? see above

What’s nap routine? see above

How long are naps? see above

What's bedtime routine? Time? Routine: Bath, playtime or reading and feed.

Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle

How much? or how long?  6 oz. 15 to 20 min.

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)

How many wakes per night? One at 5 AM

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Only up long enough to take a full 6 oz bottle and then back to sleep.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Isn't not full out crying because we hate to wake our 6 year old, but it's a fussy cry that will get worse very soon if not attended to.

What have you tried to settle?? Yes, with a paci, which works for about 30 min. if we catch her early enough.

What do you do for A time and how long is it? I hold her while talking and singing to her, we go outside, she has a play gym, a kick and play, infant seat, swing

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? None that I know of.

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) No

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Paci (see above)

Do they have a lovie? No

Thank you again for your help!!!!
Patty

Offline AddyGirl

• Showing Appreciation 0

Thank you for your reply.  I'm confused, because I've read all over the site that others re getting about 10 hours at night.  Which is what is listed on the Average Sleep post.  I know it's just a guide, but I would love to be able to push the 5 AM feed to at least 7 AM.  Yes, I feed her at about 6, then again at 8, then at 10 PM.  Last night she actually fell asleep during the 8 PM feeding, only taking 3 oz.  Slept till 9 PM, then I gave her a bath, and played with her until 9:50, which was her last feeding before bed. 

She gets pretty fussy when I try to make her sleep longer and I hate to create a habit buy picking her up an soothing her back to sleep.  However, today her first nap was 30 min. then I did pick her up sooth her and put her back down for another hour nap. 

So, with the dream feed, do I just get her up while she's still asleep, feed her and put her back down?

Thanks for your reassurance and help!  I appreciate it.

Patty

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Hi
I have to agree with Stacy, at 3 months my LO was going to bed at 2100hrs (now changed to 8pm) then waking once at 0530 for a small feed of 2 or 3 oz's, then getting up at 7am for the day. Everyone told me that this was excellent for a LO at 3 months.

The 10hrs on the guideline would inc. feeds.
The dreamfeed is done whilst she is sleeping see https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0 The d/feed may take up to a week or sometimes longer to work - stick with it. But as Stacy says the bed should be 7ish for it to work properly.

HTH's

Let us know how you get on.

Does she drain the bottles throughout the day?
Lauren x

Offline AddyGirl

• Showing Appreciation 0

I wanted to give you all an update...Last night I fed my daughter at 8:30 PM and put her to bed at 9 PM, giving her a 6 oz. bottle. I know this is later than recommended, but my other daughter had practice and this was to soonest we could get home and ready for bed.  It gets tough juggling both schedules, as I'm sure you know. LOL.  She slept until my husband gave her a dreamfeed at 11:00 PM, which worked like a charm, she took 4 oz. and never really woke up.  She slept until 5:20 AM, took a full bottle and is still sleeping; it's 8:00 AM...

Calums Mum, to answer your question, she doesn’t completely drain her bottles during the day, but comes very close.  Do you recommend increasing her intake?

Thank you both for your advice. :)

Patty

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Well done patty  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, if she is coming close to draining her bottle increase what you put in the bottle by an oz, she might not always take it but its there in case.
Lauren x

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
I was just going to say well done, most people would be happy with 6-7 hours at mo.
Yes the 10 hours is total sleep, normally taking into account that a baby will feed 2-3 times between 7pm & 7am & so won't sleep for the time of the feed & settling.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline AddyGirl

• Showing Appreciation 0

Yet another update.  Yesterday, I officially moved my daughter Addison to her crib in her room, so I wasn't sure how the night was going to go.  I fed her a bottle at 8 PM and after spending a short bit of time in daddy's arms she was ready for bed.  However, she did wake up at 10:30 PM, just minutes before I WAS going to give her a dreamfeed, so instead I got her up, since she was crying and wide awake, changed her diaper, fed her a full bottle and she was off to sleep again.  Good news is, she slept until 6:30 AM without needing a bottle, 30 minutes longer than the night before!  Maybe by accident, I hope not! LOL :D

Thanks again for your help!  I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. 

Patty