Author Topic: 12 mo. old not napping in pm?  (Read 743 times)

Offline kate585

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
12 mo. old not napping in pm?
« on: March 21, 2006, 22:55:49 pm »
Hey, there.  I have been blessed with a very good sleeper.  However, we have been having more issues lately.  I know that many kids start to transition to one nap around 13-15 months, so not sure if he is just starting early.  (MIL is always telling me how gifted he is!   ;)
For the last 2 days, he hasn't been taking ANY afternoon nap.  I go in and do pu/pd and he is just so happy to see me.  Take him out and do quiet activity, then put him down and do pu/pd, and nuttin'!  This makes for a cranky baby!  I have been limiting his am nap to 90 minutes in order to get a good afternoon nap.  He usually goes 90 for am and 90-120 for pm.  (See why I am surprised he is dropping it like that?)
He was up earlier than usual this am and I've noticed he seems to be getting only 11 hours of night sleep (which is an average amount, but he was doing 12 pretty consistently).  I just put him down (at 4:25  ::)) after trying to get him to sleep in the car  :-[.  He was just SOOOOO miserable yesterday after no nap and even had his first night terror last night.   :'(  It was AWFUL!!!  Didn't want that to happen again, so I tried the car and it was a no go.  We went to a few stores and he was in a great mood.  Came home, had snack, then he slipped on something and was hysterical.  Clearly overtired.  I decided to try a catnap (hasn't had one in ages) in order to get us through. 
Last piece of info:  He is getting his last top tooth and I think it is bugging him. 
Soooooo...Should I stop waking him from the am nap so he'll at least get one good nap?  Should I just stick with my routine and try to ride out this tooth (if that's the problem)?  Should I start transitioning him to one nap?
HHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!  Thanks!   :-*
Kate,

Offline ozswiss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 12 mo. old not napping in pm?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 23:33:56 pm »
I'm sorry to say this - but I have no idea! My daughter - also 12 months is doing pretty much the same thing - so it seems normal ?

See my post at:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=55373.new;topicseen#new

I'd decided that she was trying to transition to 1 nap so I topped her up with sleep for 3 days - ie woke after an hour in am and then put down for good pm nap. She took a pm nap - but sometimes she played (with me intermittently going in to do PD) in her cot for 1-1.5 hrs before sleeping. After that we went to 1 nap - pushed back to 10.15-10.30. This seemed to work ok, and she seemed to be going down better at night too (early bedtime of 6-6.30) and i thought - woo hoo we're starting to get somewhere, but now it has all gone wrong again!

Monday and yesterday she had am nap at 10.30 - and I gave her a push in the pram in afternoon so that she could have a sneaky cat nap about 4.30. but things are not good.

She has started fighting going to bed again at night - and last night she woke about 4-5 times. I had to go into her twice - but when I get in there she doesn't want me to touch her and she rolls around and moans and seems hyped up. She kicks the cot and mattress and generally seems to have heaps of trouble going back to sleep - which is not like her. This is just so unlike my daughter. Like I said she is a touchy angel, but since she was about 12 weeks old she has gone to bed 99% of the time on her own after our ritual, and besides a few hickups, mornings and naps have been good too.

What am I doing wrong - or how can I make this easier for her? Please, can somebody help us?