Author Topic: I think I need your opinion  (Read 992 times)

Offline lele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« on: March 23, 2006, 21:13:54 pm »
This might be long to explain so sorry in advance and please bear with me.  My dd is four months old. At about 2 months she got a cold and got diarrhea.  She got over the cold quickly but her poop never seemed to go back to normal.  They have been really runny, stringy/gooey, and stinky.  For a while they were even really green but have now gone back to yellow.  I decided to eliminate all milk and soy products last week before I took her in for her 4-month doctor’s appointment.  I explained the symptoms to my doctor who said if I had eliminated those foods and she was still having the same poop then it probably wasn’t that.  She said it was possibly just taking a really long tome for her intestines to get back to normal.  She also said she could possibly have a problem with the lactose in my milk but the only way to know for sure would be to put her on a lactose free formula but she wouldn’t recommend it because she is still gaining weight fine.  In a way I was relieved because obviously the dairy/soy free diet was really hard, but at the same time dd seemed much happier.  Her poop was still the same but she wasn’t nearly as gassy and was even sleeping a little better. 

So I guess these are my questions:

1) I was only on the dairy/soy free diet for 5 days.  Do you think that was long enough to be able to tell a difference in her poop?
2) The doctor asked if their had been blood in her poop.  I haven’t seen any but does that necessarily mean there hasn’t been any?  Maybe just not visible?
3) Could she just be super sensitive to dairy but not have an intolerance? It is hard to tell if her actions are related to what I am eating or not, maybe it is just a coincidence?  Plus her poop was fine before her illness, but she was extremely gassy from the beginning.

In a way I would like to just keep trying the no dairy/soy diet for a little longer but everyone (doctor, dh, mother, sisters, etc.) keep telling me it isn’t worth it or necessary, and seeing as how hard and expensive it is (for our very little grocery budget) maybe it really isn’t worth it.  So I guess I am looking for some other opinions.  If you guys think it is worth it then maybe it will give me some more determination to do it.  Or maybe those of you who have dealt with this think it really isn’t worth it?  Should I just wait it out and see if they go back to normal on their own?  And another thing the doctor said is she may just have poop like this. The only reason I don’t think that is the case is because they were normal for the first 2 months, and definitely didn’t smell so foul.  I am just very confused and not sure what I should do.  Please help!  Thanks in advance!   
Sweet Boy- Nov. 1, 2003

Sweet Baby Girl- Nov. 18, 2005

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: I think I need your opinion
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 21:37:40 pm »
I think you'd need to be on the diet for at least 2 weeks before making a decision - it can take a long time for the proteins to clear out of the body. Also, beware of hidden dairy and soy - in so many products that people don't realize.

Also, have you looked into the total elimination diet (TED - linked below)? There can be other triggers besides dairy and soy.

There can be microscopic blood. The doctor should be able to test for that if you bring in a dirty diaper. However, blood in stool is only a sign of allergy - your DD could still have a severe intolerance WITHOUT blood in stool.

I would strongly recommend doing the TED as discussed in this link. If it doesn't work you can always add foods back in and/or switch to formula. But I certainly think it's worth a very serious trial.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041200.asp

HTH.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01