Author Topic: teats  (Read 1155 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
teats
« on: March 28, 2006, 09:04:21 am »
I use avent bottles and teats with my 5 month old. I have heard its best for them to eat slowly so use a teat with fewer holes, is this true? He is now useing 3month + teats but if he is really hungry he wolfs his milk down in no time, should i switch back to a smaller teat?

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 09:09:12 am »
If he eats so fast that he is very windy afterwards and not comfortable I would switch back. If he's fine with it I would stay.

One idea that may help you in your decision though... For babies the feeding is a very sensual, wonderful, comforting experience. If the teat is too big, the feeding experience might not be as nice for him.

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Re: teats
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 13:28:55 pm »
I have a question along the same lines: when does one know to go to the next size teat? My 3 month old is still on #1, but lately is arching her back and kicking while eating.  Could this be a frustration sign from her or is it a sign of something else completely? I've heard many moms who never go to the next size teat and just stay with #1 and their los do fine.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 14:19:30 pm »
A sign that William was ready for me to change teat was that he would get bored when eating and as you describe would kick about, fidget and get restless - and his bottle would take ages!

I changed teats from stage 1 to 2 at about 4 months and from stage 2 to 3 at about 6 months.

When you swap the teats you just have to go steady while your LO gets used to them but it only takes a few bottles for them to become used to it and not suck too hard!

William now drinks 8 oz in about 5 mins which is quite quick but he has no issues with wind etc afterwards which is a sign that he is happy to drink so quickly.

Helen x

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 16:07:27 pm »
Thanx! think we will stick to size 3 for a bit then! X

Offline redfroggy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Sykesville, MD
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 16:31:01 pm »
Even though my guy is 3 months and 16 lbs. he still likes #1s.
I think 2s are to fast for him. He enjoys eating, and likes to take his time.
Not to mention, on the twos, I would hear his stomache really gurgle so I think it was too much to fast. He would get fussy and turn away.
If you do the same thing you always did, you get the same thing you always got.