Author Topic: seperation anxiety @ night???  (Read 838 times)

Offline f1re_cr4cker

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:52:54 am »
help!
 im sure this is what it must be for us as the last two nights Emily my 8month old has been crying on and off even with her dummy in for ages and when we finally hold her cuddled up in the rocking chair she falls asleep and is fine.im sure it isnt teething as it isnt a pain cry. we've never rocked her to sleep or had her in our bed or anything like that- this has totalyl come out of the blue and ive also noticed that if she sees daddy leave in the morning she isnt best pleased.is it? and what do i do? am i right in picking her up? i just feel im reinforicng it if i do that but what on earth do i do? i did hair stroking doesnt work the moment i stop and go out the room she gets upset.- she was crying for over an hour even with the dummy until i picked her up and cuddled her in the chair!!!

by the way she is not having any feeds at night and i tried offering water which didnt help and she sleeps in a grobag with her arms swaddled so ive ruled out being cold.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: seperation anxiety @ night???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 15:05:58 pm »
i would say that it isn't good to pick her up, as reassuring as it may be for her.  if it is indeed sep anxiety - you need to stay in the room until she falls asleep ... in her crib.  i usually just put and hand on my lo's belly if she's having this problem and stay there until she is fast asleep, as this way i am not reinforcing her waking (not making it too appealing for her to wake) but am still reassuring her that i am there.  if this does not work for your lo you may want to try pu/pd if she is crying and you can't settle in the crib.  the middle of the night can be a very unappealing time to start pu/pd so if you are thinking it make sure you are prepared and be consistant b/c if you aren't then your lo will be confused and it won't work.  it make take anywhere from a few days to weeks but the results are worth it in the end.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005