Author Topic: probably another dumb question...  (Read 813 times)

Offline busymomof2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 02, 2006, 14:08:04 pm »
could a 5 1/2 month still require a feed in the middle of the night?  my daughter was 8lbs 8 oz at birth and i wouldn't say she is the best eater but weighs in at 17 lbs now which isn't bad at all...she has been bottle fed from day one..she recently is not too interested in bottles or solids (have started but not too interested) so i have been spacing the bottles out to 5 hours so that she will take in a good 7 oz or so...well now we are back down to 5 oz or so at feedings (even though i wait 5-6 hours in between feeds during the day). she has ALWAYS WOKEN EARLY AT 530 OR 6ISH, but last 10 days or so waking at 330 or 4am and not crying (she never really cries) but moaning and restless.  in the past i have given her a bottle but she takes maybe 3 oz then chews the nipple so i chalked it up to her not waking for hunger.  could she be hungry?  as we finish each day, i certainly don't think she has had enough calories and i ususally dreamfeed about 10pm to try to get another 5 or 6 in so her daily intake right now of formula is between 20 and 25 oz.  not enough is it??  what can i do?? what should i do?
we have a 3 year old as well so letting her moan and fuss in her crib is not an option plus i would not let it get to a cry and let her cio anyway.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: probably another dumb question...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 16:15:26 pm »
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

It is possible that your LO is waking due to hunger because she is takeing so little oz in the day. However, she may also juts be a light eater. If she's only eating 3 oz then it could be time to start diluting the night time feed to try and wean it.
As for leaving her I think thats exactly what you need to do. Not CIO but if she's moaning and fussy but not crying then she's trying to settle herself and you may be making it harder by going to her.
I understand that you have a second child to consider however I really think this may be the best answer for you. PU/PD and pat/shush are out because she's not crying, if you were to do these then she would get to worked up.

HTH
Kimberly