Author Topic: Should I go back to Feeding in the Night?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline geoffreyandme

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Geoffrey
Should I go back to Feeding in the Night?
« on: April 02, 2006, 17:37:08 pm »
Hello,
I wrote yesterday about whether or not to drop the DF and how to get baby to sleep a little longer through the night. We had been giving him the pacifier to get him back asleep each time he awoke to sooth him back to sleep but really that has led to even more disruption each time it drops from his mouth after he dozes off only to wake again 30 minutes later crying for it. I really realized that was what was happening when i got up with him last night and didn't give him the paci. He went down at 8pm and slept uninterrupted until about 2:30AM as usual. I was able to comfort him and get him back to sleep without paci and he then slept until 330AM at which point he woke up and really wouldn't go back to sleep without the paci and finally after an hour and a half i gave him a bottle of 4 ounces at 5AM. He seemed very hungry and then of course went back to sleep until about 8AM. Maybe we dropped the middle of the night feeding too soon? I know I need to give him more during the day but how? Do I add another feed? If so, when? As it is, he drinks his full 8oz bottle for each feed (4 hour EASY) so would i give him another couple of ounces in a new bottle? I feel like he won't sleep and is so restless between 330-7Am because he's hungry otherwise he would have eventually gone back to sleep while i was shush/patting and PU/PD ing him for 1.5 hours, right?
He took 3 hours of naps during the day yesterday too BTW.
Any advice, support would be greatly appreciated~!
Thank you verry much!
Jennifer and Family

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Should I go back to Feeding in the Night?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 17:48:30 pm »
Jenniefer

I did wonder when you said he slept right through at such an early age. If he is hungry feed him, I used to do 3 or 4oz.

Maybe we dropped the middle of the night feeding too soon? I know I need to give him more during the day but how? Do I add another feed? If so, when? As it is, he drinks his full 8oz bottle for each feed (4 hour EASY) so would i give him another couple of ounces in a new bottle?

It should be HIM that drops the night feed, suddenly one night he won't wake for it and you will rush to him and find him sleeping  ;)

Yes, I would add another 1oz to each bottle, either by topping it up half way through or giving another one.

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline geoffreyandme

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Geoffrey
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 18:45:08 pm »
Thanks Lauren!
I don't know why we stopped the nite feed i think it was because of something i had read in gina ford's book and felt like we were behind schedule. Geoffrey was also 7 weeks early so i suppose we really need to give it some more time and be a lot more patient!
Thanks again-
Jennifer and Geoffrey

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 18:56:22 pm »
I have that book as well, but I don't follow it - I was given it as a present.

Good luck  ;)
Lauren x