Author Topic: Moved baby to crib...nightmare!!  (Read 1205 times)

Offline luann53051

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 03, 2006, 14:55:13 pm »
Hi there.

I have had my 11 week old in a bassinet in our bedroom to sleep since day one.  I did this because she has reflux, and she would sputter and choke all night.  I guess I felt better with her in our room.  She didn't sleep very well in our room, but at least she slept.

I moved her to her crib this weekend.  Grace has slept 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the most.  I have been up all night!!  I am not rushing in before she cries--I am giving her a chance to settle herself down.  She never does :(  I also have a hard time settling her down to sleep again. 

Strange thing is, this isn't her first experience in the crib.  I have put her there for naps. 

I just don't know what to do.  I am exhausted. 

Help!

Luann

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Moved baby to crib...nightmare!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 15:09:38 pm »
Is the crib on an angle?? is she swaddled?? both of these will help with the reflujx. Also because she was in your room she's probably wondering where the noise and smell of you have gone. You could try to swaddle your LO in a blanket that you have slept with the night before so it smell like you. Also see if you can have her on a angle when she sleeps as it will help the reflux and that too can help her sleep.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 04:57:15 am »
Hi, I am sorry you are hahving a rough time. Hang in there. Let me see if I can help.

Putting your lo in the crib for naps is a great start. I would also let your lo play in the crib during the day watching a mobile or listening to music so that the crib becomes more than sleep. You could maybe clean the room walking in and out talking to her or sit and talk a little while. This might help with the separation piece.

Also, with Gage we used to wedge to make him feel more snuggled in the big crib. They go from being snuggled in a small space to a large unfamiliar one. I also think the swaddle will help with this. If your lo doesnt like the "traditional" swaddle, try the Aussies Swaddle ( with a twin sheet. the directions are at the top of the General sleep forum).

Do you have a night light? They say babies arent afraid of the dark, but we use one with Gage anyway. Have you raised her crib at one end to help with the reflux? Have you tried Tracy's method of getting into the crib with your lo or sleep on the floor? I think she goes into detail on this in her last book. Let me know what you think.

Offline luann53051

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Moved baby to crib...nightmare!! (UPDATE--HELP NEEDED!)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 19:41:58 pm »
Hello ladies.

THANK YOU so much for the suggestions.  My LO is now 'going' to sleep just fine in her crib.  I am able to lay her down awake, and she goes to sleep.

Now, the difficult part.  She isn't staying asleep.  Why is she getting up so often?  Here is what she typically does in an evening:

7:30pm:  Wind down, prepare for bed.

8:00 - 8:30pm:  Bedtime.  Falls asleep in crib with no problems.

10:15:  Dream feed

1:00am or 2:00am:  Wakes fussing, then crying.  I go in and breastfeed.  LO goes right to sleep.

3:15am:  Wakes fussing.  I try to not go in right away, hoping she will just go back to sleep.  She starts crying.  I go in and do the shh/pat.  Doesn't work.  I pick up, and she settles in my arms.  I put her back in crib.

4:30am:  Wakes talking in her crib.  I let her talk.  1/2 hour later she cries.  I go in and shh/pat.  Doesn't work.  Again, I pick up, and she settles in my arms.  I put her back in crib.  She goes to sleep.

5:45am:  Wakes fussing in crib.  I try not to go in right away.  Again, crying.  I do the shh/pat.

7:00am:  Wakes talking.  I let her talk.  1/2 later crying.  I get her up for the day.

Then, she is so tired, she naps for 45 min to an hour at 9am, again at 11am, then goes down for a longer nap at 2:00pm.

Am I missing something?  She is three months old.  Should I be feeding her at every waking at night?  Or, do I make the mistake by feeding her in the first place at 1:00am?  I do NOT want to let her cry it out, but I am at wits end.  I can't function with two other children to take care of with LO waking this much.  HELP!!!

Luann 

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 22:10:06 pm »
Hi Luann! Glad to hear she is sleeping in her crib! You can look at this as one more think tackled. Good for you!

Your lo is still young yet and may need to eat a few times in the night. With Gage if I dont feed him when he is hungry and he falls asleep by other means , he will continually wake until he is fed. I would consult the bf forum to find out how you can monitor calories during the day, and if it were me I would feed in the night.

Offline luann53051

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 17:10:20 pm »
Thanks for the feedback and info.  I just get so confused...you read things that say that if you feed at every waking at night, the baby associates that, and becomes dependent on the breast to get to sleep.  Obviously, that is not what I want.

When will I know that she no longer needs these night feedings?

Luann

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 18:46:05 pm »
you'll know because your LO will start waking at the exact same time evey night and wont take a full feed. Some take longer to drop a night feed then others. Pack in as many calories in her daytime feeds as you can and that should help.
Kimberly