Author Topic: 7 months- me as prop- how to solve??  (Read 902 times)

Offline Carl's Mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 months- me as prop- how to solve??
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:34:24 am »
???HELP- I AM THE PROP!
I will post my info below, but what i desperately need to know is what to do when my soothing techniques have become the prop.  how can I solve this and let him soothe himself without ending up in CIO?

Carl (7 months) have NEVER slept through the night, but used to go down easier after BF.  Since we took the night BF away, we solved the hysteria problems we were having, but now he is even more reliant on us to get back to sleep.  it is not hard, just a cuddle on his cheek and then letting him hold our fingers whilst he falls asleep sucking his binky. But this is every 45 minutes, some nights, and I am exhausted and facing work soon.  Any suggestions??  How can I soothe to sleep when soothing is the prop?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!! I feel like finding this board has been a godsend, and saved me from what I feel like is impending depression from sleep deprivation. :'(

How old is your child?       Just over 7 months
What’s his/her daily routine?           
7am wake and bf
8am- cereal and fruit
9am-10:30- nap 1
11:00- bf
12:00- lunch solids (usually strained veggies and cereal)
13:00- nap 2 (1-1½ hours, sometimes 2)
15:00- bf (not usually very interseted in it though)
17:00- dinner (solids)
18:00- bath and wind down
18:45-19:00 sleep

What’s nap routine?    midmorning nap at 9  afternoon nap at 12-1 (depends on how long he slept in the morning)How long are naps?    morning 1-2 hrs, afternoon 1-2
What's bedtime routine? Time?  6pm bath, cuddle, nurse, prayers, song, in bed by 7pm.  Usually cries and needs a binky replacement a few times before he goes down, but it is not horrible
Do you bottle or breastfed??    breastfeedHow much? or how long?  ?? aprox 10 min (very effective eater)
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)  both sides
How many wakes per night?    From 7-11pm, once or twice, and a 30 second back pat and paci replacement do the trick.  From 11, every 1-2 hrs. Often once a night (at different times) he will be awake for more than an hour (last night it was 2½ hours) where I will get him settled, he will seem to sleep, and then after 10 minutes is up again.
What’s your LO like when waking at night?    How long is he/she up? After 11pm, very sleepy and whiney- seems to want to sleep, but just can’t stay there.  Every so often will be wide awake and want to play.  (in this case I leave him alone in his room until he starts to cry)
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?     
Fusses for 30 seconds, then to a cry.  I don’t know if it is a mantra cry- seems not to be, as if I don’t respond it gets louder and ends in super sobbing.  Occasional hysterics and unable to soothe no matter what.
What have you tried to settle??    Easy to settle, don’t need to pick up, just place my hand on his cheek and give the paci, when he will settle and grab for my fingers. If I let him hold my fingers he will flop onto his side and relax and fall lightly asleep.  I have to stay in this position in order for him to stay asleep, and even then he will often wake up after a few minutes.  Usually with rubbing his eyes and taking his paci out, and then gets mad that the paci is gone and he wants to have the cheek rub and finger hold again.
What do you do for A time and how long is it?    play with toys, lots of tummy time (he is rolling) read books, sing, occasional Baby Einstien video.  Can be up to a few hours- depends on the time of day.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?      First tooth just came in.  No sign fo the next yet.  Starting to creep on the floor and increasingly active.  Normal for 7 months.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)  yes- since he was 5  months
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?     paci, and holding my fingers
Ann

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 7 months- me as prop- how to solve??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 13:35:08 pm »
have you tried introducing a lovey of some sort? with my lo, she uses a soft bear and also one of my old tshirts that i have worn before giving it to her so my scent is all over it and she doesn't necessarily need me to come in to feel close kwim? that may help!

how many total hrs of naps does your lo get in an average day? it looks like from your routine that it could be up to 4 hrs but i think that for a lo that age - that is too much daysleep and maybe taking away from night sleep...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005