Author Topic: 6 month old waking at night  (Read 1107 times)

Offline gjaeanne

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 05, 2006, 21:13:10 pm »
Ok my son has been doing this for as long as I can remember. he has never really slept through the night. he will wake up screaming and the only way to calm him down is to nurse. we do co-sleep. the last couple of nights its to the point where i don't get much sleep. here is the list of routine questions:

How old is your child? 6 months today
What’s his/her daily routine? he wakes up at 7-8 am, takes a nap around 10, noon, 2-3, 6 and then down at 8-9. wakes up at 11-12, 2-3, then again 5-6.
What’s nap routine? takes a nap around 10, noon, 2-3, 6
How long are naps? depends. 30-40 min, if i lay down with him two hours.
What's bedtime routine? Time? we bath everyother night and then down at 8 or 9 depending on him. not much of a routine really.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? breastfeed on demand, mainly every two hours and then he has a jar of food in the am and one for dinner.
How much? or how long? he nurses for about 10-15 min
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) switch sides every feeding.
How many wakes per night? three times or more
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? screams bloody murder until nursed.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying. i don't know what a mantra cry is??
What have you tried to settle?? tried rocking, giving paci, which works sometimes but nurseing ALWAYS works.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? i don't understand ???
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? he hasn't really been teething.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) no cereal.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? my boob sometimes a paci but when he gets to a deep sleep he spits it out.
Do they have a lovie? no just me.lol

Offline thitz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
Re: 6 month old waking at night
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 00:05:33 am »
Hello, I didn't do cosleeping but my suggestion would be to drop the last nap.  My lo didn't start sleeping solid thru the night till we dropped her last catnap.  Also, how about waking your lo at a certain time of night everynight and feeding her and then refusing the other feeds.  Maybe Dad could just sleep with her during the transition.  Hope something works out for you, Tarri

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 02:10:39 am »
i did co - sleep but stopped when the wakings were getting unbearable too...dd would also need to nurse to settle again..grrr....i think just the fact that the boob is so close is enough reason for them to wakei suppose.

you may want to shorten morning A time by 15 min to a half an hour - maybe try 15 min for a few days and see if that helps at all and if not try to shorten it some more. A time in the morning should be the shortest A time of the day, and if i remember correctly my lo had an a.m A time of about 1.5-1.75hrs at that age. also, i think that 9pm is too late of a bedtime...8pm is better...so maybe the catnap try at 5 or 5:30?? i would say that at that age a recommended A time would be 1.75ish for the am, 2ish for the pm, and maybe a little longer than 2 after the catnap but i wouldn't exceed those times by too much as you don't want lo to be overtired, which may also be the reason lo won't nap longer than 45 min or so as he can't make it through the sleep cycle on his own (probably jolting b/c he is overtired...)

i def think that you need to get lo on a 4 hr routine!  it will help lo be able to go longer periods without eating and lo will take bigger feedings when it is time to nurse.  i would start by stretching out feeding times 15 min at a time or so or as much as lo will handle until you get to 4 hrs.

once you have lo feeding every four hrs see if that changes anything with the night wakings..if not i have a few links for you to look over, but definately get the daytime feeding sorted out first or else it just wouldn't be fair to lo as he is used to eating the way that he is now - short intervals during the day, and also feeding at night.

lo is getting into a very bad habit by nursing to sleep as he will always expect to nurse to sleep when he has a night waking. i found it very difficult to wean the night feedings co sleeping with my lo, and it was at 6 months i started weaning the night feeds, and also getting lo into her crib..i started with the crib for naps as it was easier to start the weaning process co-sleeping and once the naps were ok in the crib, i did the nights - some would suggest to do all at once so not to confuse lo, but a slower process worked for us...kind of like weaning to the crib kwim?

ok - A time = Activity Time just to be sure that is clear.

also what helped my lo stay in her crib happily was an old shirt i was wearing and through a moment of desperation to get her to sleep (as of course with co sleeping she wanted to be close to me ;) ) i gave her my shirt with my scent all over it - she still sleeps with the shirt to this day and a nice soft bear.

to get lo into the crib when you have gone to a longer feeding routine...i had to use pu/pd as shh/pat was too stimulating at this age.  if you go to the pu/pd board there is tons of great advice there...you could also pm me when you need to and i can give you some pointers on how it worked for us - i wouldn't mind at all :)

ok - here are the two links the first one is about night weaning:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=46907.0

the second is called gentle removal:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52857.0

i know this is alot of info - but there are alot of things that i see that could be improved to help lo sleep better. hth. if you need any further support or have any questions pls don't hesitate and let me know.  like i said, start with the feedings, and take everything slow enough for lo to adjust - it may be a long process but i am here if u need me as are many others - it will all be worth it in the end! good luck and keep me posted :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline gjaeanne

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 03:15:07 am »
what's hard with getting him to bed by 8 is, bf doesn't get off until 7, at the moment we are trying to get his license back but another story in itself. so we are lucky to even have him settled down by 8. i know he needs a better schedule its just sooo hard. and bf and i stay up late cause he is at work from 9-7 7 days a week. i'm a sahm. i have tried putting him in his co-sleeper but about an hour later he wakes up and then i put him in bed with us. ughhh i'm gonna try what you had suggested. he is our first so i am soo new to this whole schedule thingy. lol thank you for your advice ladies. btw also the reason he doesn't get to go take a nap til 10 or so is cause it takes awhile to get back home. have to take bf to work by 9 takes 30 min or so to get back home and then we have breakfast. maybe i should just get up earlier?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 03:17:32 am by gjaeanne »

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:21:38 am »
no problem! just to be clear - it is a routine - not a schedule per se - you should try to stick with it to be as close to 'normal' times as possible but always read you lo's cues - that's waht is most important.

in the meantime if you are going to start something be sure to stick with it as it isn't fair to lo to always 'change the rules' and lo will not know what to expect and it will be that much harder to break any bad habits.

not meaning at all to sound harsh - but i honestly think without changing anything that this will continue..and maybe you need to wait until things are more settled at home?!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005