Author Topic: all of a sudden doesn't want to sleep in crib HELP  (Read 898 times)

Offline chloemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
all of a sudden doesn't want to sleep in crib HELP
« on: April 10, 2006, 23:46:10 pm »
My girl is 11 months old and have never had sleep issues before.  Now in the last couple of weeks I swaddle her and put her to bed and in minutes she is sitting up and wailing!!!  For her afternoon nap and bedtime she does not like her crib anymore and will scream and scream.  Have tried rocking her for a bit, reswaddling, p/u p/d nothing works anymore.  If anybody has some ideas please reply!!!!!  Need help.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: all of a sudden doesn't want to sleep in crib HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 04:00:18 am »
Hmm...could she be teething?  Also, if she has recently learned any new skills, she may want to continue practicing them instead of sleeping.  How long did you try PU/PD, and have you tried it in the past?  Is there anything in her room that is different, or in her crib that is different from the way it used to be?  It sounds like she might have some sort of negative association with the crib if she is simply wailing when she gets into it, but I'm sorry I don't know what it could be.  Hopefully there will be some more insightful moms that reply to this post.

Offline chloemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:19:14 am »
Hi, thank you for the reply.  Now that the time has changed her room is a lot brighter but other than that everything is the same.  Do you think that the light has something to do with the sleep problems??  I try the p/u p/d for maybe ten minutes or so, I know problay not long enough but my patience was coming to a very quick halt!! How long should you normally do it for?

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 18:21:55 pm »
By the way, I'm a Chloe too!  OK, enough about me :)
Yes, the light significantly affects sleep.  Think about vacationing in a place like Alaska where it gets dark for only 2 hours per day in the summer.  I don't know how people adjust to that.  I would consider darkening her room to give the allusion of nighttime or naptime.

Also, unfortunately with PU/PD it can take a lot longer than 10 minutes.  That's what I mean by deciding to commit yourself to the process completely before starting because otherwise you are just frustrating yourself and confusing your LO.  Check out the PU/PD boards because they can offer you insight and support in order to continue to stick with it, even if it takes the entire naptime.  Also, don't feel bad if you don't have the patience to do it, I don't.  I just simply can't do the PU/PD.  I know it's not the best, but since my LO will generally nap if I put her down drowsy, I rock her for a bit first and then put her down when she's almost out.  I just do not want have her wailing at me for the entire naptime, when I know she needs to be sleeping.  For bedtimes, I'm much more apt to rock her for a few minutes and if she dozes fine, but usually she starts goofing around trying to pull my hair etc.  So it's into the crib with a kiss and I leave.  Sometimes she will fool around in the crib for an hour, and I will go in and settle her with the paci and blankie from time to time till she falls asleep.  I am more willing to let her figure it out on her own at bedtime because I know she'll be able to sleep a while and make it up.  Whereas with naptimes the BW says do PU/PD for up to 45 minutes, then take a break and back at it till the end of naptime.  If they fall asleep with 15 minutes of naptime then wake them up.  I understand the reasons behind it, but I have a hard time with the waking them up part.