Author Topic: Average length of crying  (Read 879 times)

Offline babyzanko

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:33:54 am »
I've just started implementing the PU/PD method so that my LO will sleep longer. 3 hours is a longth stretch. Later in the morning, it's evey 15 min he wakes up and I have to stick a bottle into his mouth, only to eat an ounce. (I know,,,wose accidental parenting). I just wanted to know, how long is too long? What is the usual length of time you girls have waited before giving in to a bottle? He uses the bottle to put himself back to sleep--it's his favorite soother. The first time I did it was 15 min, the second time 5 mnutes. I just feel so bad--he cries like he did after his immune shots. He's such a good baby--he never cries during the day, not for fatigue, hunger, boredom, nothing, so to hear him cry like this at night just tears me apart. When a baby is crying 5 minutes feels like an hour so wanted to judge for myself the line between letting him get out some frustration and learn a new habit vs borderline abuse for him. Seriously, the longest he's ever cried in his life (he's 5 months now) was 40 minutes 5 hours after his first set of immune shots. Besides that, he really never cries, just whines. I'm just sooo tired.....after 5 months of this....the nights are hell.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Average length of crying
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 09:31:30 am »
Well I'd say if you are going to give a bottle anyway... No mins of crying is reasonable, as you are just showing him that if he crys long enough you will give him the bottle.

I think at this stage you have to decide whether you are going to give the bottle or not & stick with it to the end be it an hour or more if you decide that it is a not bottle. although at 5mo, I say go with the bottle (unless it is every 2 hours).

Does he fall asleep with the bottle, if so I'd start by stopping that & then that should help the other wakings (in time)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05