Author Topic: bottle versus trainer cups  (Read 1786 times)

Offline janecd

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 17, 2006, 20:53:51 pm »
I would like to know whether I should try to wean my 6and a half month daughter straight onto a trainer cup or to a bottle. When she was younger she did have bottle feeds of expressed milk irregularly but I have not tried her with a bottle in months. I go back to work in 4 weeks time but I will need to have her be able to take from either a bottle or cup as the nursery has an induction program. She has a 4 hour schedule with exclusive breastfeeds at 6am and 6pm, 10am and 2pm she has some fruit or veg purees and is also breast fed. I have read a number of postings about breast to bottle and bottle to trainer cup but have not found one on this issue. Also I am not sure whether to go cold turkey with her or not especially if I want her to go to a trainer cup first (I found some posts on cold turkey but these were from breast to bottle ones and some seem to say it worked others it should be a last resort)
Many thanks in advance
Jane C-D

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 20:58:41 pm »
Tracy does say that from 6 months onwards parents should try and aim for the sippy cup.

My dentist says it doesn't matter, both are equally bad for the teeth and milk feeds should be as short as possible.

Infant psychologists say that the sucking action is comforting and very sensual for a baby and it shouldn't be taken away from before the age of 1.

And I... don't know  ;D

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: bottle versus trainer cups
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 21:16:19 pm »
i would suggest a sippy cup if you have breast fed . the bottle habit is hard to break( for my bottle lover anyway) at leat you cut out 1 process by going straight to cup. i have given up on the sippies and going to a regular cup now . a friend of mine who breast fed never introduced a bottle . her son went to a sippy
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 22:55:20 pm »
Totally agree with Ryans mum you will probably find she will take to it alot quicker than if she was on the bottle. My DD is bottle feed and i started her with a sippy cup when she started solids just for water. She is just now drinking milk from her sippy with meals and hope to have the bottle weaned well before she turns 12months.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 15:26:57 pm »
Ditto; Natasha and Ryan's mum
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 14:45:28 pm »
Just been reading the new BOOTS "baby and you" magazine.

They say that the AVENT magic trainer cup is actually BRITISH DENTAL HEALTH FOUNDATION APPROVED.

Lauren

so is this one, just looked at the dental website Tommee Tippee Easyflow Drinking System

Another article goes on to say that;

Using a cup will help keep babies teeth and gums healthy because the fluid spends less time in contact with teeth and gums but, even so it's best to avoid sugary drinks because they can cause tooth decay. If you do give juice, give occasionally and dilute as much as possible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 18:53:35 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 20:52:58 pm »
Quote (selected)
Using a cup will help keep babies teeth and gums healthy because the fluid spends less time in contact with teeth and gums but, even so it's best to avoid sugary drinks because they can cause tooth decay. If you do give juice, give occasionally and dilute as much as possible.

Does it? I mean DS takes between 5 and 10 minutes for a bottle with 10 oz in it. How long does it take a baby to drink 10 oz from a trainer cup???

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 07:14:12 am »
Not sure Steffi, I have only ever given him a couple of oz's in the cup so he can hold it himself.  The most I gave when I have held it was 4oz and it was gone in a shot.

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline janecd

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 20:43:17 pm »
Just in case anyone reads this in the future - it only took 3 days before Amber decided to take from a trainer cup - I thought it woud take a month. The one she got first was the simple tomme tippee one with the flip up spout.
http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=137&cat=32&page=1.
She realised that if she sucked milk came out. We then went for the boots non spill one trainer cup with handles - although this says for 7 months plus Amber coped with it well at 6 months.
I had exclusively breastfed Amber and enjoyed it so rather than go complete cold turkey I chose to just breastfeed Amber for her dream feed. My husband and I just kept offering Amber the trainer cup every hour for about 5 minutes - she was also having solid food as well twice a day. On the third day she took the cup so on the forth day and from then on I breastfeed her in the morning and evening and cup feed her otherwise during the day.

I would definitely recommend going from breatfeeding straight to a trainer cup and in particular the boots one.