Author Topic: 9 month old waking and playing at night  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Ammie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 18, 2006, 15:52:46 pm »
My DH and I have been using the PU/PD method for 4 days now.  My LO goes to sleep well using this technique initially, last night it was only 15 minutes and maybe 10 PU/PD's.  Then he slept for 4 hours and woke up, we used the PU/PD for over an hour, then my LO started playing in his crib.  It was 2 hours before he fell asleep.  He did this the previous night as well.  What do I do to fix this?

As well, my LO has a 2 - 2 1/2 hour nap in the morning and a 30min nap in the afternoon. (this just started happening in the last week)  Is that OK? or should I try and make him sleep more in the afternoon as well.  I know I'm new with this technique but I'm already getting frustrated with the night waking.  I know I'm doing something wrong but I need some guidance.

Thanks for your help!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 9 month old waking and playing at night
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 15:56:49 pm »
i believe your lo may be getting too much sleep. at nine months my lo couldn't do more than 2.5hrs/day of naps max. or else i had a playful dd in the wee hrs of the morning.  if you want to post your routine i could take another look but i think that may be the problem, if lo is getting more than enough sleep during the day, then he won't have a 'need' to get the sleep at night kwim?
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Ammie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 21:59:20 pm »
Thanks,
Here's his routine
5-7am  wake up / bottle of formula
8am breakfast, then play
10am-noon nap
12:30 lunch
1pm bottle of formula, then play
2:30 - 3pm nap
3:30pm snack
5:30pm supper
7pm bottle of formula / wind down for bed
8pm bed
3am wakes for nursing

This is approx what happens throughout the day.  The last 2 weeks I have been weaning him from breastfeeding and I am down to 1 or two feedings in the night or early morning. 
He has always woke up at night to eat but then goes right back to sleep.  This night waking and playing has developed in the last week.  2 nights ago we put him to bed at 8pm and did the PU/PD for 1 1/2 hours, he was crying out of control so we then took him out of his crib, calmed him down, nursed him, set him back in his crib and he then played until 11pm.  I finally got him to sleep by rubbing his back and settling him in his crib.  I know we weren't consistent here but didn't know what to do.  He is very happy throughout the day and plays well.  I thought that he may not be getting enough sleep through the day, so he was trying to catch up on his sleep in the morning? 

Can you advise me on what I should be doing?
Thank you so much!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 01:54:00 am »
ok well the shortest A time of the day is 'usually' best in the am, as well as the shortest nap of the day is 'usually' in the am. this is b/c the morning nap is seen as an extension of night sleep, and what they get during this first nap they won't need at night kwim? they should be rested enough from a full night's sleep to be able to just have a 'catnap' of sorts at this age to get them through to the pm nap, which tends to be longer b/c they aren't as rested at that point kwim? i would def limit the morning nap, open the door and make some extra noise after approx 45 min and follow the rest of the day as planned. 

now if he wakes at 5am - what time are you putting him back to sleep for nap?

how long has he been getting this 3am feeding? how well does he feed first thing in the am compared to the rest of the day's feedings? have you tried weaning the night feed b/c i think that you may want to work on that before the rest as he will just keep taking more and more at the night feeding and be dependant on having it rather than taking more during the day.

you may also want to try putting lo to bed a little bit earlier for a few days to help get the early waking sorted out - and if you cut out the long am nap and limit it, you may have a couple not good napping days on your hands and an early bedtime would keep lo from getting overtired - if he is waking at 5am then 8 pm is a bit late of a bedtime iykwim?!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005