Author Topic: 4 wk old pops & jerks awake  (Read 1302 times)

Offline lunababy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 wk old pops & jerks awake
« on: April 30, 2006, 03:48:12 am »
Hi.  I am trying to understand/address 2 issues with one month old DS...

We have been trying to get a routine going for him for about 2 weeks.  He seems to fall asleep very easily, but then he jerks himself awake or just seems to pop his eyes open and be awake. 

*  Seems like about half the time in the first 5 minutes of sitting I can look and his eyes are shut and he seems to be "out".  But if I transition him to crib at that point (worried about becoming a "prop") he starts jerking around in crib, gets flustered and we have to start it all over. 

*  If I do get him into the crib it seems like he jerks and jolts usually around 3, 6, 12 and 45 minutes.  We are typically doing 15 minutes of sitting while swaddled now and then 30 min of Pat, shhhh in crib.  Rarely have been able to keep him past the 45 min.   

Any thoughts, suggestions, survival tips???

I have a 2 year old so while I really want to help him with some good habits I cannot keep a vigil over his crib just to have him pop awake.  I have found that if we do his ritual and place him in car seat he will take a long nap.  I think being flat in crib doesn't keep him snuggled to stop jerking around. 

Also, what is the point when babies tend to stop being so jerky???  Is it a developmental thing?  Maybe personality?  To me it just feels like his system is too immature and causing the jerking.

Thanks for reading my post!
DD - Luna baby born 1/9/04
DS - Aqua baby born 3/28/06

Offline tiki_mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: 4 wk old pops & jerks awake
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 08:35:04 am »
hi  :) i can't answer all your points, but i'm sure the moderators will help out.

but, as for the jerking i can say that my daughter still has her arms and legs flailing all over the place at 4 months and she has to be swaddled to get a good sleep. it does get better with age and as their muscles develop and they can gain more control (i mean she is LOADS better than she was at 4wks!!)

as far as i know (from reading the BW books) all babies 'jolt' in their sleep at 10 minutes and 20 minutes and that's why if they jolt and wake themselves up it will probably take at least another 20 minutes for them to get into a deep sleep. i guess it's just ensuring that if they do jolt and wake up they should be comfortable enough in their cot environment to just drift back off to sleep and not to get upset. he's still very young though so i'm sure things will improve soon  ;)