Author Topic: Just when I thought it was getting better! Another rotten night!  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Jack aged 2 years/ Rya aged 1 month
Well this is more of a vent than anything- maybe it should be on the Counch, however, I am still looking for advice if anyone has any anymore  :(My DS is 5 months old and since about 3 months he has been a crummy sleeper but in that last few weeks he was getting up and staying up and happy about it. He was laughing and screeching wideawake in his crib. It lasted  about 30 mins to 1 hour and then turned to hysterical crying and I went iin.
ANYWAY, I came upon the BW books and this board 2 weeks ago, got some helpful advice on Wake2 Sleep and EASY etc and the wakings improved- never went away but at least he wasn't fully waking up and then last night and the night before- awake again! And then every freakin' hour after that! WHY CAN'T MY SON SLEEP MORE THAN 2 HOURS AT A TIME? Where did I go wrong? And to rub it in even more we are back to 45 minute naps again, too! I thought we were beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel but we are getting sucked back in!
Someone (Tracy?) said most nightwakings are due to food intake in the daytime. Well, he's not hungry when he gets up and it doesn't seem to matter what he eats in the day. Everything I try doesn't work! Earlier bedtimes, more food, less food, later bedtime, bedtime routine, W2s, less activity, more activity!
Every morning after a crappy night I would devise a new plan of things to try. Well I am out of ideas. I'm going back to Wake2 Sleep tonight. Thought 5 nights of it would be enough but I guess I'll be doing W2S until he's 2 years old.
I'm think I'm going to take the kid to the doctor even though I know nothing is wrong with him. He'd be crying if he was in pain, right? Ear infection woudl have other effects?
I don't know what to do next?
Thanks for the vent!
Mom to "Textbook" Jack born Dec 3, 2005
and (?) Rya- Feb 13, 2008

Vancouver, Canada

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Re: Just when I thought it was getting better! Another rotten night!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 18:17:36 pm »
Hang in there! It will get better!

Could you post your son's schedule? Maybe some of us will have some ideas if we can see  you lo's day and night routine!

:) Shelby

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 19:21:06 pm »
Hi well, it's worth a shot: This is the ideal rotuine. If he wakes up early from a nap I try to make him go back to sleep and if that doesn't work I try another nap anywhere from one hour to 2 hours later. I'm lucky if he gets 2 naps 1hour25min and a 45. DS is EBF'd.

6:40- he wakes up in his bed
7:00- E -I go get him and feed
A
8:30-10- S (sometimes only 45 mins)
A
11- E
12:30-2:00- S (sometimes less)
3- E
4- 4:45- S
6:00 bedtime routine starts
6:30-E then Sleeping by 7:00
10:30- DF

*I really try to get more than 3 hours of nap time per day. It sometimes helps with nightwakes.
8:00-crying- pat/shh
9:30-crying- pat/shh
(11:30) DF
12:20- crying- pat'shhs
1:30 ( happy and stayed awake until 2!)
3:30- stirred- dogs may have woke him
4:00- stayed awake until 445 laughing and playing)
5:45- I fed him
6:40- woke for day

BTW, he has a pacifier- I am going to try to get rid of it and hope it helps with the wakings. I'm not sure if he wakes b/c of it or not!!!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 19:23:06 pm by Elphyrafire »

Vancouver, Canada

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 19:28:06 pm »
Hi elphyrafire! Love ur pic!

Oh I really know how u feel, is such hard work isnt it! I was feeling a bit like this too so I started a thread in the lounge..."it's great to be a mum because..." to focus on the good things! ;)

i have also tried everything, more A time, less A time, more naps, less naps, W2s, the list goes on.. keep telling myself it MUST get better at some point?!?? Espesh as DS was such a good sleeper b4 4 months! Anyway didnt want to make this about me just wanted to send u virtual hug and say hang in there!!

Dont know if this helps but, do u write everything down? Like a log? Mayeb tis way, when he has abetter night you can go back and see what u had changed??

One more thing, have u thought of a change of scenery?? I know we r all set on trying to get routine to work but we went off for the weekend aand if anything came backl more refreshed, LO's can feed off ur emotions u know !( yes i know, feels liek they control them too)!

Hugs to you my dear!

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 19:40:48 pm »
Thanks Yaya- love your pic, too- cutie!
Ahhh yes, it is so discouraging  :(
I just keep trekking on b/c that's all I can do.
Yes, I keep a log and it's helpful somtimes and depressing others (when I see that nothing has really changed).
I read your post in props. I am having the same thoughts about the paci. Are you going to go cold turkey?

Vancouver, Canada

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 19:42:33 pm »
hmmm not sure, have thought about it a lot but havent really got the energy to be honest, i savour the very little sleep I get! What times did jack wake last night?

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 20:13:36 pm »
Wahhhh  :'(
He woke at:
in bed- 7:00pm
8:00pm
 (at 9:30 I poked him for w2s and at 11:30 I fed him)
12:30 am- crying
1:20-2:00- off and on wakes
3:45- 4:30- awake again- playing- turned to crying
 5:45- woke up- I fed him
6:40- pat/shh
7:10- awake for the day

Booo hoooo hooooo  :'(  I am so tired today. Also, I think DH got up once in there,too. I am sooo fed up with this $%##$!

Vancouver, Canada

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 18:45:06 pm »
Could something in Jack's diet be bothering his tummy? Food intolerances can be a MAJOR source of wakenings... Is he BF or on formula?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:37:28 am »
Thanks guys
Karen- Jack is BF'd and has cereal. But the nightwakings started weeks before the cereal. i started the ceral to try to get rid of them.
For awhile I thought it may be something in my diet- like pop or chocolate but cut both out to no avail. Plus when he wakes up half the time he is not crying- he's laughing loudly and annoyingly.

Vancouver, Canada