Author Topic: Nightwaking: not because of hunger  (Read 999 times)

Offline Alexdad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 30, 2006, 23:37:49 pm »
The posting on reasons for nightwaking other than hunger is great.  It has helped me understand why my son is waking at night.  Before I continue I will answer the questions:

my son is five months
E:7:00am
A:7:20am
S:8:45am-9:30am  will only sleep 45 min, sometimes 30 min
Y

E:11:00am
A:11:15am
S:12:40pm-1:15pm
Y:

E:3:00pm
A:3:20pm
S:4:20-5:00pm
Y:

E:7:00pm
A:7:20pm
S7:45pm
Y:

Cluster feed at 9:00pm and 11:00pm, dream feed not working , will not need a feed until 7:00am, but will wake at 2:00am and every hour after that until 7:00am.  Most times he wakes up it is not for long, usually he needs his pacifier and will go back to sleep,but then usually at 5:00am and 6:00am it takes 20mins of pu/pd to put him back to sleep. He wakes up crying and it gets louder the longer I wait.

Activity times often include playing with jungle gym, going for a walk, talking with parents or grandparents, sitting in swing or saucer, tummy time, playing with toys such as cubes, teddy, teething ring.  He is teething.  We have not introduced cereal yet, but would like to in the next week or two. He does use a pacifier to get to sleep but often spits it out when he gets into a deep sleep. I am not sure if it is a prop.

He is breastfed and feeds off both breasts.

From the posting I have recognized that we have been putting our son to sleep too soon in the morning and have begun to put him down later as you can see with the above schedule.  Also I know that his 30-45min naps are contributing to his nightwakings.  So we are trying to extend his naps.  We have tried wake to sleep and found he just wakes up and then we have employed pick up/pd, which works sometimes and sometimes he just gets really aggravated.  However we have also been trying to get into his room at the 30min mark and try to shush pat him to sleep.  We have found that he will fall asleep for another 15-20mins and then we have to shush pat again.  We continue this until he has had at least an hour and a half nap.  I was wondering if this is okay or are we not helping him learn to self settle back into sleep after a sleep cycle?  We have just been doing this for two days but want to make sure we are on the right track or not.

Also he will only sleep an hour and a half each time.  The schedule's we have seen all have 2 hour naps.  I was wondering if I could see a schedule that had 1 hour to 1and1/2 hour naps schedule, especially at the end of the day.

Your input is truly appreciated. 

Thanks Alexdad

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Nightwaking: not because of hunger
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 17:14:48 pm »
i def think that you could stand to extend all of lo's A times at this point. go slowly 15min at a time or so until things kind of level out kwim? just be sure lo doesn't get overtired as that is another set of wakings in its own...i would also start limiting that catnap to only about 1/2 hr. by pushing the day forward by extending A times then you won't need that catnap to be so long so lo will make it to bedtime without becoming overtired. on the days that it works out that he won't make it without becoming overtired i would rather opt for an earlier bedtime.

if you want to look at other routines you can find them for all age groups in the easy forum!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005