Author Topic: what's going on?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline clare076

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 01, 2006, 01:05:28 am »
My 4.5month old DD has been on EASY since 8 weeks, and was doing beautifully until about 5 days ago.

Usual routine

7 wake
7.30 eat/activity
8.30 sleep

10 wake
10.30 eat/activity
11.30 sleep

12.15 wake
1.30 eat/activity
2.30 sleep

4.00 wake
4.30 eat/activity
5.30 nap

6.15 wake/bath/story/cuddle
7 eat/bed

10.30 dreamfeed, sleeps to 7 am

For the last 5 nights she has been waking before the d/f around 10.15, then again at 2am, 3am then sleeps through to 7. I started off giving her a feed when she woke at 3, she would drink the whole bottle, then sleep to 7. the next night I gave her water and she drank a little before falling asleep again until 7.

So now I don't know if it is hunger or habit. We have not changed our routine at all in the 5 days. My mother suggested starting solids as she is drinking over 42oz of formula a day, and still waking at night for more. I have tried giving cereal but it has made no difference, she is still waking.

She usually falls asleep independantly, and has a paci, but spits it out as she falls asleep.

Should I increase activity time again?
Try and get rid of late afternoon nap?

Any suggestions

Thanks
 Clare

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: what's going on?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 07:24:47 am »
Hi Clare

Firstly I want to debunk a myth - feeding solids WILL NOT get a child sleeping through the night (I know, I know, that's what our mother's say) but it isn't true.  In fact, the current standard (although it differs in different countries) is 6 months before introducing solids.  Feeding solids prior to then is more likely to disturb night sleep because their digestive systems are not mature enough yet for a diet other than milk.

At 4.5 months it is probably time to look at a 4 hr EASY routine.  I notice that your DD is still feeding every 3 hours.  By stretching out the feeds a little bit, she will eat more efficiently at each feed.  Have a look at the sample routines at the top of the EASY board for examples of common routines for your DD's age group.  Generally though, 4 month olds are feeding at about 7, 11, 3 and 7, with their DF.  The 4 hour routine also starts to increase their activity time, as you have considered.

Also with the dreamfeed, you might consider bringing it forward to 10pm for a little while, while you are waiting for her to adjust to the 4 hr routine.  That way she will still be alseep through the dreamfeed (obviously the goal :))

Oh, I would think it is probably too early to eliminate the cat nap - I tried that too early and had to reintroduce it because my DS was getting overtired.  I think most keep the cat nap until about 7 or 8 months or longer.

If you have any questions let me know.  Good luck with it!
Jo

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
I totally have to agree with Jo, your lo really needs a longer awake time to make her "tired" enough to sleep through.

At 4.5months old she should be able to get pretty close to an awake time of 2 hours, so I'd try stretching it out to 1.45 in the morning & moving to 3.5 hours between feeds.

Really you need to cut out that 11.30 -12.15 nap & I think you will find things get better

Also have to say starting solids early unless it is for a reason such as Reflux, is not a good idea & has been linked with the increase in obesity & diabetes in the population (if you want a reason to give your mother)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline clare076

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:48:53 am »
Hi again
Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I stopped solids,fed 4 hourly, increased 'A' time and made sure the afternoon nap went no later than 5pm.
She fell asleep at 7pm, very easily and slept through to 6am.  Grunted a couple of times at 2.30 and went back to sleep.

Now I don't know what it was that made the difference or whether it was all of the above, but I have done the same again today so fingers crossed.  ;D

Clare

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 23:14:44 pm »
Thats great Clare!!  Good luck and hope it continues