Author Topic: chocolate allergy?  (Read 990 times)

Offline sue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
chocolate allergy?
« on: May 01, 2006, 23:09:14 pm »
My ds has been getting a rash on his forearms and the backs of his hands off and on for over a year now.  It's never really bothered him until recently.  Now it is obviously itchy and he even asks for cream to put on it to stop the itch.  After the Easter weekend, we believe we have pinpointed what is causing the rash.  We're pretty sure it's chocolate! :(  We're very surprised since neither my dh nor I have food allergies.  We've cut out all chocolate and the rash went away.  Then I forgot and gave him a bit of a chocolate donut (after which he said, "Mommy?  Aren't I going to get a rash from this?" :-[) and by the end of the day, he had the rash on his arms again.  Is this an allergy?  A sensitivity?  I read somewhere that a true chocolate allergy is very rare.  I'd love to know your thoughts on this and what we should do about it.
Thank you in advance.
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: chocolate allergy?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:38:33 am »
Based on the timing of the reaction, I'm going to vote for intolerance.  Poor guy.  On the other hand, it's not a hidden ingredient, so easy to avoid.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline sue

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
Re: chocolate allergy?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 23:23:11 pm »
Thank you for your reply Jenn.  Even though I would be miserable if it were ME with the chocolate problem, Noah seems to be taking it quite well.  For now, he is happy with strawberry and vanilla and all the non-chocolate sweet treats out there. ::) :)
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006