Author Topic: switching formula at 10 months?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline shannon S

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Manitoba, Canada
switching formula at 10 months?
« on: May 03, 2006, 03:47:12 am »
It has never occured to me until now, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try switching formulas. My daughter goes through phases but most often won't drink more than 16 oz a day.  I'm not worried about her weight but I don't know why she won't drink sometimes.
This is what she usually takes;
1st bottle: 5 or 6 ounzes
2nd bottle: 3 or 4 ounzes (sometimes only 2)
3rd bottle: 3 or 4 (sometimes only 2)
4th bottle: Between 3 and 6 oz (lately only 3)

I've tried combining the 2nd and 3rd bottlle, but I sitll can't get any more into her.
My question is.....should I try swithing formula to see if she likes another one better?  I have never tried any other kind. I breastfed until she was 5 months.  She has always been a fussy drinker.  Eats solids very well.
Nowadays she gulps down 2 or 3 oz then stops, babbles, and plays with her bottle and won't take more.  And I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I'm wondering if she drinks more when it is the powder formula vs  liquid formula.  Anyone else experience this difference (powder vs. liquid) with the same brand name?

I've tried absolutely everything to get my lo to drink more.  Maybe she just doesn't need it.
shannon

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: switching formula at 10 months?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:53:23 am »
Hi Shannon,

I know what you are going through as my DD has never been a huge formula fan either. She dropped her 4th bottle at 5months so only has 3 which are:

2ozs with breakfast (cows milk) plus 2-3ozs on her cereal.
6ozs formula
2ozs with lunch (cows milk)
5ozs formula
2ozs with dinner (cows milk)
6ozs formula

She loves the cows milk much prefers it over her formula but it is to soon to switch her over. We have also just recently got rid of the bottle she now has her formula in a cup.
I don't think it is worth swapping formula brands at this late stage especially if you will be going to cows milk in a few months. If that is all she will take then that is fine espeically if she is eating solids well, you can't force a baby to drink anymore if she doesn't want it.
The onlt suggestions i have is try giving her a few ozs in a cup with meals and see if you can get anymore into her, that is what was suggested to me and it worked. It is quiet normal for formula intake to decrease at this age as their solid intake starts to increase.

Also remember to include the milk you put on cereal as ozs she is getting.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:55:15 am by Natasha Wells »

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline newsdiva

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 07:54:46 am »
Thank you for bringing up this subject.  My DS is a few days from 10 mos and lately he's been crying hard during his 11am and 3PM bottle feedings.  Up until now, he would take 5-7 oz four times a day.  And just in the last few days, he takes 7 oz at his first and last feedings, but very little (sometimes 1-2 oz) in between.  He eats his solids well... but I"m worried he's not getting enough iron.  Altho, frankly, he looks very well fed.  :-)

I agree that this late in the game you should stick with the formula you have. 

Any thoughts on his lack of drinking formula in the midday affectig his afternoon nap?  He's been fighting it hard the last few days.

Thanks!
Weston's mommy
San Diego, CA

Offline shannon S

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 16:05:58 pm »
Thank you both for replying.
Natasha,
Yes I do try every which way to get more formula into my 10 month old. 
Let me clarify a little:
am bottle: 6 oz (if she doesn't finish, I use in cereal at breakfast) This morning she finished the rest out of a sippy cup (the straw kind) interesting!
Now I'm combining her 2nd and 3rd bottle so;
Lunch: I try 2 or 3 ounzes with meal and if she won't drink it I'll give it to her with a bit of cereal.
Afternoon bottle varies:  If it is too close to lunch she won't drink it. So depending on what time she gets her afternoon bottle, depends on if I give her some with supper.

Anyway, you are right....there would be no point in switching formula. 

Does anyone know how much formula a 10 month old should have? Everything I have read says 20-24 oz or more.
My lo only gets between 15-19 most of the time.  The odd day she will take 20.

Newsdiva,
Sounds like it is time for your lo to switch from 4 to 3 bottles a day too, and follow the advise here maybe on increasing intake here and there.  I think the switch for my lo will eventually help her drink more. I will probably have her second bottle at about 2:00.
As for your lo and his afternoon nap.  I don't thinik his decrease intake would be affecting his nap because he would drink if he was hungry.  But if you swich to 3 bottles a day you could give him his bottle before his nap and see if this does help. Then you would have your answer.
There are so many reasons that a lo may not be napping well.  For example, I just discovered by posting a question under S, that I was letting my lo sleep too long in the morning. (usually 2 hours) She didn't have enough activity time to make her tired for her afternoon nap.  You might want to post this question under naps too. I was given a lot of advise about this.  He may be at the age where his nap time can be reduced and activity time increased.  Apparently the afternoon nap should be the longer one.