Author Topic: 5 1/2 month old and multiple wakings  (Read 910 times)

Offline threlkeld1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 03, 2006, 16:25:34 pm »
My lo has not slept through the night since January, where we had a 3 week stretch of sleeping through.  I have been trying to follow the EASY programs and seem to working fairly well.  The problem is in the night.  She wakes anywhere from 4-5 times.  Here is her schedule:

7-7:30 wake and eat--8oz
activity until sleep
9:00-sleep (between 45 minutes to 2 hours)
Eat again at 11 ish--8oz
activity until nap again around 1:00 (will sleep about 45 minutes)
Eat again at 3--8oz
Activity and maybe a short nap
5:30 cereal with fruit or veggie (4oz but doesn't drink all of it)
7:00 Bed (will have 4-6 oz)
10-10:30 Dream feed (4-6oz)

I just started the 8oz feeds this week.  I was feeding 6oz about every 3-3.5 hours

She sometimes wakes before the dream feed and then wakes again around midnight, again around 1:30, again around 2:30-3 then again at 4ish and then seems to sleep until 7.

When she wakes she is in pain and very noisy.  Usually after she passes gas she falls asleep instantly.  We usually feed her a 4oz just to get her back to sleep at sometime in the night (it is our crutch as we both work full-time).  I know we need to break the night feed as she is growing fine and at a good weight (abt 16lbs).  I give gripe water through the night and that seems to help expell the gas.  She sleeps with her feet up in the air and if we put pressure on her stomach in the night she falls asleep until we move our hand and then wakes screaming again. 

What can help relieve gas in the night (daytime she doesn't have a problem with passing)? She is on Prosobee Lipil, could it be the soy formula? She was on Alimentum and that didn't work too well, more spit up and after her reflux was under control we switched to Prosobee. 
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Trish

Offline LAR

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 00:44:59 am »
Trish~ Hey. I'm no expert... but YES I think it COULD be the soy. My sister has a baby who is almost 5 months, and I have a 5 month old baby. Her son has tried soy due to exema, and struggled with constipation pretty badly. My son was quite gassy until about a month ago, when I started solids... we were breast feeding until this week. I used Mylocon instead of Gripe Water (which we tried too.) I feel so bad for your daughter. It sounds like she is in pain. Can you imagine? Can you see a pattern at all, in regards to her waking? You may start to chart it for a while, to see if a pattern is developing. If you know how long after she eats, it takes for her to start to struggle... maybe you can at least be more prepared to help her, or shift feeding her, etc. ? I don't know. We use GentleEASE Lipil from Enfamil, this has also helped with his gas and spitting up. I wish I could be more of a help. I know its frustrating. My son has really had a hard time with night wakings as well (for different reasons.) Good luck, Lori

Offline Elphyrafire

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Jack aged 2 years/ Rya aged 1 month
Re: 5 1/2 month old and multiple wakings
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 02:23:23 am »
Maybe a suggestion you have thought about but hve you tried simethicone? Commonly sold under differernt brand names. One is called  Oval. One is Gerber Gas Drops. I have found them way more helpful that gripe water. I mix it in DS's food and haven't had any gas since.
Also, have you tried "pumping" her legs? When Ds was small we woudl lie him on his back,take hold his calves, and pump them into his tummy- KWIM? Tons of farts came out. he even likes it now!
GL-
I know what the nightwakes are like- at our house it's 12:30- 2:00 and 4:00 and then 6:00 am. But for no good reason!
Mom to "Textbook" Jack born Dec 3, 2005
and (?) Rya- Feb 13, 2008

Vancouver, Canada

Offline threlkeld1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 14:35:33 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  We use mylicon (or generic) and it doesn't seem to help too much.  Last night was a great night, she only woke once at 2am and then slept til 6.  Hopefully this will schedule will stay!