Author Topic: Early wakings and weaning?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: May 05, 2006, 07:46:46 am »
Hi there,

Well, I've posted just about everywhere else on here in an attempt to solve my son's early wakings, but they are getting worse and as its been over a month now, and he's nearly 20 weeks, I'm wondering if its time for some food and would welcome other bottle feeding mum's opinions.

Basically, from 11-15 weeks, he was sleeping pretty much through. Sometimes up at 6.15.
Then he started to wake any time from 5am to 7am, but mostly around the 5.30-6.30am hour. He is up and ready for the day, and will drink a whole bottle (we are now on 9oz 5 times a day) about 20 mins after waking. I have tried everything, shorter naptimes, blackout blinds, more food in day, stretching to 3.5 EASY...but the last two days have been 5am, and I'm running out of ideas. His dad works late and so we only see each other about an hour at night and in the morning. At this rate he never sees Caspar as he's in bed when he gets back from work, and in the mornings he's up with me and then back in bed by 7.30-8am.

Has anyone found that giving a little bit of baby rice or similar can do anything about early wakings?
I really wanted to wait until 6 months but we are exhausted!

Vic

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Early wakings and weaning?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 07:51:56 am »
Vic
Can you please post your routine with amounts of formula as well.
Lauren x

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 08:16:56 am »
Will try, it varies from day to day given his crazy wakings.

Yesterday was a bit funny as we were out and about so will try to do the day before:

E 6am wakeup & feed 9oz
A
S 8.10-9am nap
E 9.30am feed 8oz
A
S 11.30-12.30 nap
E 1.30pm eat 9oz
A
S 2.30-4pm
E 4.30pm eat 8oz
A
Bath, bedtime and 9oz bottle around 6.45pm for 7pm sleep

So my day starts an hour too early, but he appears to pull it back in line during the day.
Yesterday he had only about 2 hours 45 mins sleep as we were out and about and still the 5am wake.

If he wakes that early, and won't go back to sleep after a feed, should I keep him up as long as I can?

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 08:20:49 am »
wiki
another cause of night wakings could be you need to chnage to 4hr EASY  :-\

DS put himself on 4hr easy at little over 3months, here are some signs of needing to transition:   https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=41061.15
1. Not taking as much at a feed (baby not as hungry at 3 hours)
2. Erratic Night Wakings
3. They are extending their awake times
4. Starts taking 45 minute naps
I know it goes 'against' EASY, however if you feel you are in a transition stage, you really have to watch his cues and let that be your guide - it may be usefull to keep a log https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=6208.0 so you can track when your LO eats, etc.
Lauren x

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 08:25:18 am »
Calum's mum, I've tried...he can't stick it out in the afternoon... On Sunday, I thought he was doing it himself, as he woke at 6.50am (hooray, first time in a month) and ate at 7, 11 and 3. However, he then grizzles at 4.30pm, and after trying everything, we gave him a 9oz bottle at 5pm and he downed it, and then another 9oz one at bedtime. I was sure he would be sick but no.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 08:35:36 am »
have you tried any of the transistion 'stages' i.e 3.5 or 3.75hr EASY?
Lauren x

Offline gabriels mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 08:45:09 am »
Hi Wiki

Wow, your LO is taking v. big feedings.  I think you should check with your HV, but sounds to me like you maybe ready for solids.  Weaning at 6 months is only as general rule, but if your LO is this hungry, then maybe he's saying he wants something more filling!  Also, have you tried the milk for hungrier babies?  This may keep him going a little longer?  How is his weight?

If I were you I'd discuss weaning with your HV.

Good Luck

Lou

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 09:40:45 am »
He will take 9oz feeds of hungrier baby too - he had those three feeds I mentioned on Sunday of hungrier baby, I couldn't believe it. Thing is, I'm worried solids will make him wake more, if they don't agree with him!

Offline gabriels mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 09:58:40 am »
Hi

You can start on very digestable foods such as baby rice, which you make up with formula, so they are easy on their tummies.  I would defiantly discuss with the HV if i were you.

Lou
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80