Author Topic: own room?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Sarah J

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
own room?
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:14:49 pm »
jsut wondering when did your babies move to their own rooms, the reasons for the move and how they got on......

my lo is 8.5 months old and i feel like i 'should' move him to his own room before he get too used to us being there but if i am honest i dont really want him to.  he has always slept really well (apart from the odd patch) so its not for practial reasons i just like him sleeping next to me!!

can any one give me their perspective on this please......!!!???
Sarah

Offline *Nicola*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 429
Re: own room?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 12:25:31 pm »
Hiya Sarah

I think everyone is different with there views to this situation, and it'll depend on your views and situation.

I remember going to a mum and baby session  with my friend when Ciara was 11 weeks and the midwife asking if the babies were in their own rooms yet.  We were both  :o :o - didn't realise they could go in so early.  Anyway, we both went home that afternoon and moved them into their big cots and own rooms  ;D ;D and never looked back!

Ciara was quite a noisy sleeper and would grunt all night.  She was also a light sleeper and would wake whenever we moved! She made the transition with no problems at all, and we were much happier without her in the room although I did miss seeing her as soon as I woke up  :(

For what it's worth, I think it is totally up to you what you decide to do.  If you enjoy having him next to you then there is no reason that you should move him.  My only thought would be that it might get more difficult for him to accept the move as he gets older.  Hopefully other mums who have had their lo's in with them for longer will give your their view on this.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:37:48 pm »
Well, we moved our DS to his own room at 3.5MO, 'cause he wasn't eating at night anymore, so tha's really why, i didn't see the need for him to be with us and i really wanted to be abble to read or watch tv in our room again ;)
[img width= height=]http://m1.lilypie.com/6mvXm6.png?r=63e7296[/img]  [img width= height=]http://m3.lilypie.com/bqFOm6.png?r=6443960[/img]

Offline Johanne

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 17:09:27 pm »
When my DS was born we were told by Health Visitors (UK) that they should be in your room until 6 months old - so we moved him into his own room when he was 6 months and one day old  ;D

Jo

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:38:08 am »
I kicked both of my LO into their own rooms at around 3 weeks! They were incredibly noisy sleepers- grunt, smackers, little cries- and I was always waiting for them to wake up and therefore I never slept. I thought pre-birth they would stay in the room with us until 6 months or so! They both transitioned well.
Jeni

Offline Sarah J

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 10:39:57 am »
thank you for getting back....

we moved him yesterday, i spent all day making his room look lovely and he slept as normal last night, with me its a different story... i was trotting down the hall to check on him every half hour or so!!!

i am sure we will get there though!!
Sarah

Offline datallan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 11:33:30 am »
Moved Phoebe into her room and cot at 8 weeks.
She hated the moses basket and room would not fit her cot. She kept waking in nights when in moses basket. During the days she slept in moses basket but it was in her cot so she knew her room and the cot. Did all chaning in her room as well.

The night we moved her in she slept and had to be woken for feeding.

Debs

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 11:37:20 am »
We moved Kayla at 8 weeks old when she finally got over the colic. She was a noisy sleeper and I found I was waking at every little noise she made. So we moved her to her room and suddenly we went from 3 night feeds to 1, I think she wasn't actually hungry at night and I was jumping in to early. When I couldn't hear everything anymore she slept better. Best thing we ever did.
Kimberly

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 12:04:02 pm »
We started from day 1!!! We knew we wanted her to get used to being in her crib and as Tracy says, start as you mean to go on. It has worked great for us.

Offline OneMagicMummyv2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 19:10:46 pm »
im in a quandry as to moving my 6 month old son.  he is still BF and walking up for a feed but im almost sure it habit not hunger so i would have to move him room and break a habit at the same time and i just dunno.  i want my room back, i want to be able to read at night and snuggle with DH with out fear of waking H up

Kiz

Offline Sarah J

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 08:14:11 am »
it is a hard decision eh?
now that we have done it i think its the right thing - i sat in bed and watched tv last night!!

i would have kept him with me but i was worried that he would get used to hearing us and seeing us there and then moving him would cause him a problem.  he has continued to sleep through so thats good.

good luck!!
Sarah

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 02:37:34 am »
Will moving LO to his own room make him a better sleeper?  DS is currently 4 months old and still has 1 night waking (currently 2 which I posted in the night wakings section), will moving him eliminate the night wakiings?  Or will there still be night wakings either for feeding or diaper changes?
I'm debating to move him but I'm also afraid if he cries at night I won't hear him.  I think I'm starting to think about separation anxiety for me!?!?!

Melodie

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 03:23:22 am »
Moving your LO wont garentee deeper sleep, but its a step in the right direction. Mostly because it gives him a little more time to try and settle himself.
At 4 months I would still say expect 1 feed at night but yes you can start to eliminate the second. This would be easier done in his own room.
Kimberly

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 03:27:25 am »
Moving your LO wont garentee deeper sleep, but its a step in the right direction. Mostly because it gives him a little more time to try and settle himself.
At 4 months I would still say expect 1 feed at night but yes you can start to eliminate the second. This would be easier done in his own room.
Kimberly