Author Topic: HELP me to get on EASY with 4.5week old  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Leanne Barker

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • this is me on my wedding day
HELP me to get on EASY with 4.5week old
« on: May 17, 2006, 15:40:47 pm »
Hi

can anyone please help me with getting started on the EASY routine.
I've got a 4 1/2 week old baby and seems to have swapped her days for her nights.  I have tried to start the EASY routine but i am having difficulty with her feeding and can't see the routine working through the day.

She is having her first feed of the day between 7 - 8 but she is falling asleep on my breast after about 10 minutes then doesn't seem to want anymore, so i go to put her down and she won't settle so i end up feeding her again.  This continues through most of the morning and sometimes doesn't settle till 12.

The last feed of the night i give her is a dream feed at about 10 and 8 times out of ten she has trouble settling when she has woke up for her feed after that.

can anyone help me?!?
(-: x Leanne x :-)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: HELP me to get on EASY with 4.5week old
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 16:13:34 pm »
Hi Leanne

Got your Pm and found this  ;)

Can you post your typical routine for us and let us know roughly how long she goes between feeds during the day.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 16:17:35 pm »
Oops, I think I responded in the other thread at the same time Lauren split the post:

Hi, Leanne, and welcome.  First, it is very common for lo's your dd's age to still get very sleepy while feeding, especially bf.  The key is to find a trick, such as rubbing her hands, or undressing her, while feeding to keep her awake.  Even if you have to break the latch, sit her up, and wake her, then resume feeding.  This can be time consuming, but is very important.  You want to make sure she gets a full feed so that she won't need a "snack" in another hour.  How long is she going between feeds?  Probably 2.5-3 hrs, or some variation would be good.
After you complete the feed, try to keep her awake for 15 mins or so with a walk around the house, a diaper change, or some low key activity.  Then, start the 4 S's and your winddown.  Lay her in her crib and give her a chance to settle.  If she has trouble and begins to cry, comfort her with ssh/pat until she stops crying and falls into a deep sleep.  You may need to stay by her side to do ssh/pat again if she starts to have trouble during sleep transitions.  You can find much more info on this technique in the Sleep Forums if you need.
Hopefully, she'll nap for 1.5-2 hrs at a time.  This would be your goal, anyway.  Then, feed her 2.5-3 hrs later and start the cycle again.  To help her sort her days and nights, it will be important for you to maintain this cycle and wake her for her feeds so that she does not get a big chunk of sleep in the daytime hours.  She will then miss feeds, and will want to make up for that  in the night.
Can you post what your day is now so that we can give you more specific advice?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 08:05:35 am »
Leanne
How are you getting on?  :-\

lauren
Lauren x