Author Topic: Change in sleeping  (Read 784 times)

Offline Mamastalawatt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Me and my beautiful boy!
Change in sleeping
« on: May 17, 2006, 22:01:38 pm »
Hi,

My DS is 18 weeks old and has been on 3 hour EASY since he was maybe 8 - 10 weeks old.  I am currently transitioning him onto 3.5 hour and it is going OK so far.  He has 3 to 3.5 hours of naps during the day (I've fought for weeks to increase this but he seems to just want this much) and goes to bed by 7pm (after a clear, consistent bedtime routine of bath, massage and top up feed).

I could do with some thoughts on the following issues:-

- he has started waking loads during the night (he used to wake just once at 4am, but now seems to wake every hour or more from 2am)

- he is taking far longer to settle at bedtime (he used to go to sleep in about 10 minutes, now it can take anything up to an hour, with 2 to 4 wakes in that time)

- he wakes and wants to play from 6am and will only go back sleep til 7am if I feed him (which means he doesn't want a proper feed at 7am)

I still swaddle him, although tonight one hand got loose and he seemed OK sucking his thumb in his sleep.  He uses a paci for a few minutes before dozing off, spitting it out just before he goes to sleep.  He sleeps in our room, in a cot and I keep a check to make sure he's not too hot or cold.

I would love him to go down at 7pm and not wake until 7am...but wouldn't we all... ::)

Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mama
xxxx

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Change in sleeping
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 00:02:47 am »
hmmm... 18 weeks....  ahhhhh - 4 months!  that's it

sounds like your lo has hit the 4-month crazies.  this can be a huge developmental time - both physically & mentally. he's in the process of learning so many nifty new things that his sleep is now being disturbed - mainly cause he wants to practice his new tricks. 

- could be time to slowly transition to a 4-hr EASY
- otherwise, treat his night wakings as just that, and ride them out as best you can.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy