Author Topic: Wakes once but not hungry - any suggestions?  (Read 836 times)

Offline Finns mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Wakes once but not hungry - any suggestions?
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:18:36 am »
My 7 week old son is on the 3 hour EASY & it's now begun to really settle nicely into a routine. Before we started EASY, he was going 4 hours between feeds and 5 or 6 hours at night. After starting EASY, he would only go 3 or 4 hours a night at first. But I've now discovered he can easily go 6 or more hours at night between feeds, after I settled him back to sleep without a feed one night and he slept through til 6am. In fact now I don't feed him if he wakes before 5am, and he seems happy enough to go until morning for a feed. The thing is, he seems to wake once every night, fussing and crying and I'm not sure why if he's not hungry. He generally settles back to sleep easily with a dummy and a hand on his chest and shush-pat where necessary. I'm guessing if he was hungry he wouldn't settle so easily, or at least would wake again soon after. He doesn't wake at the same time each night, so I can't really do wake-to-sleep. It's as if he can't do more than 4 or 5 hours solid sleep in one go. Is this something he'll just grow out of, or are there any suggestions to help him sleep through til his feed?

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Wakes once but not hungry - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 11:35:53 am »
At 7 weeks I'd actually say feed him when he wakes up. He is still very young and small and he needs that feed.
One waking is incredable for 7 weeks, but you can't expect no food at all at this point. If he's settling himself before you arrive thats OK, but if you need to go to him and use pat/shh to settle him try feeding him. He may be more hungry then you think. Plus he'll probably start making it to the start of your day with no more wakings.
Kimberly

Offline Finns mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 10:31:34 am »
After being prepared to feed him when he woke last night, he slept through form his 10pm dreamfeed until 7am! Do you think I should wake him in the night for a feed, or just follow his lead? He was a large baby (9lb 9oz!) & has never demanded food very often!

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 13:24:31 pm »
LOL Thats the way it always goes.  ;D Glade he slept through for you.

No don't wake him, if he wakes feed him, if not enjoy the sleep yourself.  :D
Kimberly